Wherry... not sure if this is normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually saying that just doubled checked the images of the first test and I read the gauge wrong... it was initially 1038, hopefully this is still in range? going to shut the door and try to forget about it for a few days

I've been unwell for a week so am only now just getting to the stage where I can bottle, it's been just over 12 days since I started the process. Is it possible to leave the initial batch in the FV too long? Just about to order some Star San so I can prep my bottles so figure it will be 14 days from start to bottling - will it be ok? Is there anyway to check?

If anything it be better for being in the FV for longer rather than a shorter time! Gives the yeast some time to 'mop up' some chemicals they release at the start of fermentation. :thumb:

Start to worry when your a month late ;)

thanks, my first botched brew is not what I need right now with everything else turning to ****

have ordered my sanitizer so day 14-16 will be the d-day or b-day – both sound wrong... will leave my readings until then, hopefully it's dropped nicely ;)

Hi Matty,

Mine has gone really dark, it's gone from an inital light tan to a dark brown...

Has yours done the same?

Just checked and it's now down to 1006 so on for just under 4.8% when bottled and primed :) checked my coopers bottles and they're a pint so how much sugar should I use when priming each one? Assume the volume and brew determines this? I've read 1 level tsp but wasn't sure if that was the correct percentage...

Thanks guys :)

I batch prime. 80-100g of sugar in a little water and boiled for a few minutes. Left to cool.
This is then added to the bottling bucket, the beer it then added to the bottling bucket from the FV. A gental stir with no splashing to make sure its mixed, then add this to the bottles.

For wherry I would guess 80-85g of sugar.
Lagers would be 100g+.
That is for 23L

Ah, I've read about batch priming however I have one of those bottling things that attaches to the fv tap and as that's the only kit I currently own I need to prime each bottle. Will get more kit in the future but want one successful brew under my belt first ;)

RTFM

Says the measurement on the box... what a plank sorry. Been a long day

sanch3z said:
Hi Matty,

Mine has gone really dark, it's gone from an inital light tan to a dark brown...

Has yours done the same?

Yup, went from fairly pale to a dark almost ruby colour. Smells fantastic and the quick swig I took from the sample jar tasted good.

I can't wait to get it conditioned and then drunk :cheers:

sanch3z said:
Ah, I've read about batch priming however I have one of those bottling things that attaches to the fv tap and as that's the only kit I currently own I need to prime each bottle. Will get more kit in the future but want one successful brew under my belt first ;)

RTFM

Says the measurement on the box... what a plank sorry. Been a long day

If you've bottled the Wherry it's probably time to get a new brew going! You can drink the Wherry in March, now get a brew going for April. It'll soon be time to think of lagers or pale ales for those summer BBQs as well. Build up a stockpile - you'd be surprised how quickly 40 pints of your own brew disappear!

Welcome and good luck. Tip: there's lots of great advice on this forum, but find what works for you.

so bottled last night, sanitized them by spraying with Five Star San in the morning, leaving to drain then bottling at night. Primed each bottle individually – not that bad but can see the merit in batch priming. Not too much in the way of spillage but had to be on the ball. The Wife jumped in and help tilt the FV towards the end (Gotta Love her) so got 43 bottles sat conditioning. Will upload a few more pics in the coming days of how it went so other brewers can use them for reference if they help (good or bad).

Not sure what to do next as I can't see these lasting long, especially when my mates get stuck in. Have a cooper bitter to do but not that fussed by it if i'm honest.

My fav at the moment is Poachers Choice Damson & Liquorice (http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Ba ... e/39371011) would love to do one of these as i'm not much of a larger drinker, even on hot days however love a blond Weissbier if anyone can recommend a couple of decent kits? My b'day in a couple of weeks and ppl are asking what I want, figured a few more bottles and another coupla kits ;)

think I may have the bug?

ah that solves two problems... As I tipped the FV the bottle filling tube kept hitting the side of the table it was sat on. With the Dishwasher door open and the FV sat above on the draining board it leaves a void for the filling tube to angle into.

Cheers

so, the clean up has begun – what do ppl usually do with the old crud in the bottom of the FV? Does it go down the drain, into an old container then binned or what?

Thinking about this for my cleaning process:

• Dispose of crud
• Quarter fill with hot water and use my hand or non scratch kitchen sponge to remove the worst of the stuff
• Rinse with hot water again and open tap to run some hot water through
• Use a diluted solution of vwp to clean it and run more through tap
• Rinse several times with cold water making sure to run plenty through the tap
• Fill with clean water and leave to stand over night
• Rinse and run tap several times
• Spray inside with diluted Five Star san
• Put a couple of pints of Five Star san in FV and run through tap

I will then store the FV for a week until i'm ready for my next brew at which point i'll spray everything again with Five Star san before starting.

Does this process sound ok? Is vxp a good idea? Should I remove the tap from the FV and clean this separately - was keen not to damage the seal?

My trub goes down the drain, swirl the FV with hot water and using kitchen roll
to wipe the crud ring off. then will with hot soapy water and use hands to wash the inside of the FV. Run hot soapy water through the tap and again use hands to clean around the tap.

Then empty and rinse two or three times with hot water until all bubbles are gone than sanitise with VWP and rinse before reusing the FV.

:cheers:

cheers guys, all washed and ready for the next batch ;)

Popped into Wilkos today whilst out shopping and grabbed another couple of Wherry's for £15 each - not had my first batch yet so it's a bit of a gamble... Also grabbed a bag of light spray malt and a medium malt, not sure what i'll use them for but figure they'll come in handy? To round my trip off I purchased some stickers and a note pad so I can mark and log my brews in case one is better than the other. Really want to do a blond ale like a Weissbier but figure i'll do my coopers English Bitter first and leave that brewing whilst I work out the blond route - sounds complicated though...

Ok, so cleaned my stuff as outlined above then left it to air/dry however on checking it a couple of days later I noticed a faint film/haze on the collar where the bubbles had dried... I therefore put some wvp in a sink and soaked it for around 5 hrs then rinsed several times with the shower in the bath but when I now sniff the collar there is a faint smell of chlorine and the film/haze is still there although it's really faint :( I know I left the collar too long before cleaning it. Could this have irreversibly damaged my fv after only one batch? What should I do?

Hi
I'm pretty much a newbie too and was convinced I had destroyed my first FV by using a scouring pad to remove the ring left ( rookie mistake. Before anyone else says it, what an idiot) . There are some marks but all I did was take extra care to sterilise this bit everytime before I brew again. I have successfully brewed another 6 kits ( so far ) in this FV with no problems. I doubt you have done any real damage to the FV. Just make sure you sanitise and rinse and you should be fine.

As for your blonde beer give coopers Canadian blonde a shot its quite good with either brewing sugar or better with brew enchancer. The wheat beer from coopers is one of my favourites. The best bet is to give it a go and try whatever sounds good to you. The coopers kits are what got me hooked and now I just want to brew as many different beers as I can.

Hope your wherry works out, it is on my " to do list "

Latest posts

Back