Whether to use Campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This goes through my mind every time I rack something.

Should I use campden tabs each time I open the brew, either to rack or take a gravity reading or whatever.

What are the chances of infection, what is the best way forward in this.

I have just never been able to get to the bottom of it.

I will be bottling soon, so I guess I should add campden tablets to the barrels the day before?

I’ve never bottled before, any help on the above would be appreciated.

Don’t Campden tablets kill yeast or at leas cause it to stall/stop? Wouldn’t be the best idea if you’re bottle conditioning I wouldn’t think?

This goes through my mind every time I rack something.

Should I use campden tabs each time I open the brew, either to rack or take a gravity reading or whatever.

What are the chances of infection, what is the best way forward in this.

I have just never been able to get to the bottom of it.

I will be bottling soon, so I guess I should add campden tablets to the barrels the day before?

I’ve never bottled before, any help on the above would be appreciated.
Are you talking about beer, cider or wine?
If beer then in the brewing liquor before you start, cider or wine then at the end of fermentation.

Thanks, yes, cider. I have been wondering about before it’s finished fermenting, like the times you have to get a sample to read the gravity.

Thanks, yes, cider. I have been wondering about before it’s finished fermenting, like the times you have to get a sample to read the gravity.
The Campden tablets are used to kill off the yeast when it has fermented as far as you want, so, no, don't use them before fermentation is complete

If your doing a carbonated Cider then NO do not add. Just leave Cider to clear naturally normally about 2 to 4 weeks then rack, Prime and bottle. If you want a still Cider then Yes use when you rack. 😎🥂

I would not use in beer brewing apart from using as water treatment or for a sterilising solution for equipment if other sterilising solutions are not available.
maybe cider apples / wine fruits grape in a pre fermentation soak to get rid of nasties after picking

Latest posts

Back