Which CO2 mix do you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markyuk

Reaction score
Having caught the homebrew bug I'm interested in getting in to Kegging as I'm impatient and the bottling process, whilst thereaputic, is going to drive me nuts.

I've used Adams Gas before for welding supplies, but which mix of CO2 do people go for (for carbing, serving etc)? They seem to have a ton of different co2/nitro ratios. Is there that much of a difference?

Lastly how long would a 6.35kg cylinder last (how many 19l kegs are you likely to get through?) I have a hobbyweld stockist a lot closer but they seem to be more expensive.

100% CO2 for me.
If you decide to use both types as LeeH has said you will need the expense of extra kegs and they use different regulators and connections

100% CO2 unless you want cream flow then you need 70/30 N CO2 and a special tap to suit.

A **** load of kegs.
Pretty much this.

My first canister of CO2 lasted about a year but I was getting through a keg in about a month/six weeks.

More recently, I'm brewing less and less is getting drunk so CO2 lasts longer. Your regulator will let you know if the pressure in the canister is getting low and it's time to refill so as long as you keep an eye on it, it's not an issue. My supplier is happy with me just turning up with an empty bottle - yours might need a little more forward planning.

I use both, the C02 realistically covers off 90% of beer styles well enough…. If you have space and the extra reg get both because some beers just taste nicer (imo) on 30/70. You can add a stout nozzle to your taps for an even creamier beer. A 6KG bottle will last a lonnnnnnng time. I reckon I’ve had at least 20 kegs off mine so far…

Latest posts

Back