Which movie(s) have you watched recently?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately I've rewatched:

Blade Runner 2049, brilliant film
Inception, one of my favourites
Solo, watched it at the cinema, rewatched this week - better the second time around
Dunkirk, like the story interactions
Finest hour, Gary Oldman the man of a thousand faces

Recent new viewings:

Tenet, epic, I'm a Nolan fan
Greyhound, excellent
Arctic, not really all that impressed, too depressing
Coco, watched it with the kids, we all enjoyed it

Just watched Train to Busan this evening.
Cracking zombie flick if that’s your thing. Oh and it’s Korean so if you don’t like subtitles then maybe not for you.
I really enjoyed it. And so did Mrs Needa.

Oh I know it’s a bit predictable but Bridgerton is just gorgeous and yes there is that aspirational element of being Miss Bridgerton and being visited upon by such suitors as the prince and the duke. However, real world asserts, married (happily) but it is a fine programme indeed ☺.

Anna

Just watched Train to Busan this evening.
Cracking zombie flick if that’s your thing. Oh and it’s Korean so if you don’t like subtitles then maybe not for you.
I really enjoyed it. And so did Mrs Needa.
I loved Train to Busan. There's a sequel, but I haven't watched it yet. It got panned, but that doesn't usually matter to me

I watched on Netflix I Lost My Body which is an unusual little animated French movie about a severed hand trying to get back to its body. The animation is stunningly beautiful and I found the whole thing strangely poignant. If you can get past the odd premise then this is great, I really recommend it.

Synchronic - Forgettable tripe with one of the stupidest time travelling mechanics ever. I can't believe Mark Kermode likes it. It's not worth bothering with.

Freaky - A comedy slasher that I really enjoyed that does have a silly mechanic but it means you get some brilliant scenes from Vince Vaugn. After a while I started getting a Happy Death Day vibe and found out it's by the same people. That's a good thing.

The Kid Detective - don't worry, Steve, no spoilers. A low key Small Town comedy about a man still carrying on his 'career' as kid detective and given a case he's not that equipped to deal with. It has moments of tension in places but not where you expect them that'll have your bones shrivelling. The tone is almost flat and empty which I really like in a comedy (think Garden State) and I really enjoyed it, though I know in a month I won't ever remember having seen it.

Go and watch St. Vincent, Orange County and maybe Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road if you like it.

The Kid Detective - don't worry, Steve, no spoilers. A low key Small Town comedy about a man still carrying on his 'career' as kid detective and given a case he's not that equipped to deal with. It has moments of tension in places but not where you expect them that'll have your bones shrivelling. The tone is almost flat and empty which I really like in a comedy (think Garden State) and I really enjoyed it, though I know in a month I won't ever remember having seen it.

Go and watch St. Vincent, Orange County and maybe Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road if you like it.
Just saw the "Mike and Jay Talk About", I'm intrigued. How did you watch it, can't seem to find it available.

A 54 year old film that never ever gets old.....truely epic!!!

The good the bad and the ugly, ennio morricone absolute master with film music......rip sir.

Boss Level - A Groundhog Day "Live, Die, Repeat" action film that looks like it's going to be some amazing 'Smokin Aces' / Wanted / John Wick collective of awesome and almost does that... but then decides to be a mess and does the thing I despise most in all of cinema - doesn't have an end. Ooooh, it's so cool to read books but have someone rip out the last 10 pages, that's a thing, right? F*ck off.

I want to be told an effing story when I watch a film, until you pay me money to 'interpret' or 'make up my own mind' about how it ended the get to f@kk and stop wasting my time.

Avoid.

I watched Greenland on Amazon Prine the other evening ... turned out to be a very stereotypical disaster movie with up to date special effects. Can't say I'd recommend it unless disaster movies are your thing.
I believe this genre of movies is quite 'popular' at the current time e.g. Contagion has had massive viewing figures. I guess something to do with surviving the apocolypse & seeing light at the end of the tunnel?

Watched another old classic last night that I hadn't seen before, Barry Lyndon which at 3 hours long isn't really a casual watch but I really enjoyed it. I wasn't hugely gripped by the story or the characters, but it was entertaining enough to keep me engaged for the runtime. But the big attraction here is the cinematography which is quite simply stunning. The candle-lit scenes inspired by renaissance paintings are breathtakingly beautiful, just look at these stills from the movie:
VBTKj4h.jpg

HnWYTFq.jpg

Barry Lydon is a stunning looking movie.
I can't stand Ryan O'Neal, he is such a wooden actor I get splinters in my eyes watching him.

Latest posts

Back