Which supermarket apple juice do you think is best?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archtronics

Regular.
Reaction score
Pretty much as per the title what apple juice do you think is best for cider and use?

Mark

The cheapest one !!! I use aldi, lidl or tesco who match each others price of 87cent per litre. Thats in Rep of Ireland. Its probably cheaper in the U.K. I havnt noticed any difference yet but maybe the TC experts will have more experience of the matter.

I have used almost all the own brands value juice and not noticed any difference between the final product.

Making one at the moment with princess apple juice so am yet to try that.

I think my nicest ones have been bought from lidl, they did a 1.5 litre cloudy pressed apple juice, which came out really nice, but I had thrown honey etc in it and left it 6 months.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer, but from my own experience I have not noticed anything different really, I tend to go for whatever is cheapest at the time!

I've used the juice and nectar from Lidl a lot, but the one I made with Morrison's value juice came out slightly better. Maybe. What with different yeasts, different amounts of tannin, different fermentation temps and times, it's not easy to tell.

Any of the cheap ones but you will greatly improve it by adding tannin and malic acid at 1 tsp per gallon and leaving it to mature. Maturation of cider is much more like that of red wine than beer, many of the post fermentation processes are similar.

I would love to know exactly what apples go into these packs. All you can say for sure is that they include the misshapen, undersized, slightly damaged and overripe ones that never hit the fresh fruit shelves, plus perfect ones surplus to the quota on the supply contract from last year and converted to UHT juice, concentrate, etc. Probably all dessert apples, the Bramleys probably all going to Mr Kipling! Hence the need to add 'sharpness', in the form of malic acid and tannin to make reasonable cider. The 'cloudy' ones may be better, but this may just be a marketing ploy. If you add ascorbic acid (vitamin c) the juice stays cloudy, and looks 'organic' and 'wholesome'.
Avoid juice 'drink' as this is watered down and contains additives. Anything 'not from concentrate' is a preferred option and often costs little more. If you have an electric juicer, throwing in some freshly made juice won't go amiss either.

I think I am right in saying that the apple concentrate used to make apple juice comes from china along with everything else. Ithink china is the largest producer of the stuff probably along with honey. So variety wise your guess is probably as good as the next mans, one things for sure it is sweet low tannin and low malic.

Avoid juice 'drink' as this is watered down and contains additives. Anything 'not from concentrate' is a preferred option and often costs little more. If you have an electric juicer, throwing in some freshly made juice won't go amiss either.

so can hard cider be made with juice from concentrate :?:

Back