Which Yeast for St Peter's Ruby Red Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my second ever home brew and actually is a pretty good kit.. I would def reccomend this to a new brewer.. I thought the original yeast was fine, not sure what it wa sthough..

Not sure what yeast I would swap with, for dry probably S04 or windsor.. (not that I have ever tried either of them).. Not sure whether I woudl want to dry it out with an 05 or nottingham.. but some people here seem to suggest it works well so maybe so :thumb:

I've tried S04, it's got an attenuation of about 75% but I find it's got a bit of an odd taste which I cant get on with. I haven't tried windsor but I've got a MJ dark ale yeast in a bitter in my FV at the mo. I haven't tried it yet (will be tasting the gravity sample on wed) but from everything I've read they seem quite similar -medium attenuation of about 68% and dark fruity esters.

I know your becoming a bit of a yeast nerd (like me) so, if you like your english beer styles I highly recommend having a go at culturing up the shepard neame strain. I can see this stain becoming my second house yeast along with wyeast 1469

well im glad you told me this as I too like a maltier full bodied beer. I assumed these kits were all malt, so thought theyre would already be enough malt going on to not have to add any more.
Would you add any particular specialty grains?
Sounds like the woodforde's is coming on nicely then, was anything added to this?

Why not buy a bottle of St. Peters RR to try? If it's good for you, make your kit as per instructions, I'm sure it'll turn out pretty similar. I'm yet to experiment with grains. My addition would be medium spray malt, 200-300grams - probably...or maybe brew shortish, 18-20 litres..? Or a bit of both?
The Nog has 150grms dark malt, 150 grms black treacle, 100grms bourneville plain chocolate added. Probably taste like s#@t - ask me again in 3 months...!!

Why not buy a bottle of St. Peters RR to try? If it's good for you, make your kit as per instructions, I'm sure it'll turn out pretty similar. I'm yet to experiment with grains. My addition would be medium spray malt, 200-300grams - probably...or maybe brew shortish, 18-20 litres..? Or a bit of both?
The Nog has 150grms dark malt, 150 grms black treacle, 100grms bourneville plain chocolate added. Probably taste like s#@t - ask me again in 3 months...!!

Good idea. You can get St.peters beer in waitrose. Ive noticed it in the one near work in surbiton. No fear of a waitrose in the hamlet/on the old kent road any time soon though :lol:

3 months! i take my hat off to you.
i looked on youtube on adding cocoa powder to beer and found an Australian chap (nick name 'Gash') say you needed a low fat powder as it can effect head retention. Couldn't find one so abandoned the idea. if it turns out ok let me know as ill just get the Bourneville like you :)

..forgot to add, great idea on buying one first, and thanks Myqul, ive got a waitrose not to far from me

Last edited:
I've tried S04, it's got an attenuation of about 75% but I find it's got a bit of an odd taste which I cant get on with. I haven't tried windsor but I've got a MJ dark ale yeast in a bitter in my FV at the mo. I haven't tried it yet (will be tasting the gravity sample on wed) but from everything I've read they seem quite similar -medium attenuation of about 68% and dark fruity esters.

I know your becoming a bit of a yeast nerd (like me) so, if you like your english beer styles I highly recommend having a go at culturing up the shepard neame strain. I can see this stain becoming my second house yeast along with wyeast 1469

Thanks I may just well do that!! pretty much a free strain to ad to the bank

Never tried 04, I think clibit also said he couidln't get on with it..

When I used a wyeast english London ale 3 last year it was really nice and just like hops there are so many different ones to try.

I hear the ringwood strain is really good too maybe worth a look at one time..

Thanks I may just well do that!! pretty much a free strain to ad to the bank

Never tried 04, I think clibit also said he couidln't get on with it..

When I used a wyeast english London ale 3 last year it was really nice and just like hops there are so many different ones to try.

I hear the ringwood strain is really good too maybe worth a look at one time..

I've read the ringwood one (as well as anecdotal evidence from forumites) needs to be baby-ied. As mentioned I also have Wyeast 1469 which I like too but you need temp control for it as if you ferment it over about 18C it gives out too much overwhelmingly appley easters. According to other forumites the wye valley (from botttles of butty bach) is good too

I've read the ringwood one (as well as anecdotal evidence from forumites) needs to be baby-ied. As mentioned I also have Wyeast 1469 which I like too but you need temp control for it as if you ferment it over about 18C it gives out too much overwhelmingly appley easters. According to other forumites the wye valley (from botttles of butty bach) is good too

Sounds like another strain to nick, what do you mean by baby-ied? as in very stable temp control?

Iirc, ringwood needs a lot of regular rousing as it can be sluggish

Okay fair enough

Shepheards Neame they do the Bishops fingers and those kentish ales don't they?? sounds like yeast certainly worth growing although as I understand I need the 1698 bottle as thats Bottle conditioned.

They are more maltier types would they be ESBs? not done one of them but fancy trying one with that yeast now..

Sorry OP for the digression :oops:

3 months! i take my hat off to you.
i looked on youtube on adding cocoa powder to beer and found an Australian chap (nick name 'Gash') say you needed a low fat powder as it can effect head retention. Couldn't find one so abandoned the idea. if it turns out ok let me know as ill just get the Bourneville like you :)

..forgot to add, great idea on buying one first, and thanks Myqul, ive got a waitrose not to far from me
Forgot to mention water..I have a filter fitted to my tap water supply as it's very 'hard' chalky stuff down here. I believe it definitely helps. It's a 'Permutit' under-sink type available from B & Q. ( Other filters and suppliers are available). I've never used bottled water.

?..? Hmmmmm. The fat in the chocolate thing..?! Might have dropped a big one there...I can feel depression coming on...

haha even if it does itl prob still be a nice pint as you've bulked it up.
I think with the ruby ill add a couple of tins of malt extract from Holland and barrett. itl also increase the abv to a less sessionable beer. will be interesting to see how an all LME pint will turn out

haha even if it does itl prob still be a nice pint as you've bulked it up.
I think with the ruby ill add a couple of tins of malt extract from Holland and barrett. itl also increase the abv to a less sessionable beer. will be interesting to see how an all LME pint will turn out

Good idea. You can get St.peters beer in waitrose. Ive noticed it in the one near work in surbiton. No fear of a waitrose in the hamlet/on the old kent road any time soon though :lol:

We're getting a new Waitrose in Truro this Thursday, 16th June,,,mmmmm

We're getting a new Waitrose in Truro this Thursday, 16th June,,,mmmmm
Yes we are... I'll keep a lookout as I've just brewed a Ruby Red.... Nice evening to know there are other Cornish brewers on here...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, I'm close to finishing my last minikeg of Ruby Red that I brewed back in January. It seemed to develop through the 5 kegs I had of it and this last one is the best yet. At first, as the flavour seemed subtly different with each keg, I thought it was my fault. But I've concluded now that it's to do with storage time and I think 'the longer - the better' is good. Forget drinking it in a couple of weeks like it probably says on the packaging, store it away and keep your mits off it as long as possible. You won't be disappointed..!

Latest posts

Back