Whisky Lemsip

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thumb: I used to do similar if they couldn't see, or try to persuade them otherwise. The odd once or twice I'd get them on a tasting which was fun

cwiseman77 said:
At my restaurant we get a lot of wealthy American golfers, being St. Andrews and all. Sometimes one of them will ask for a Macallan or Highland Park with ice and coke....I give them Famous Grouse :whistle:

I know morally it's wrong but any one who puts coke :sick: in a malt, well that's morally wrong as well. The only thing you should put in a whisky is another whisky.

cwiseman77 said:
At my restaurant we get a lot of wealthy American golfers, being St. Andrews and all. Sometimes one of them will ask for a Macallan or Highland Park with ice and coke....I give them Famous Grouse :whistle:

You deserve a mention in dispatches for that act of selfless bravery. :hat: :hat:

Now that is when T*achers comes into play, give it to the Americans, sorry ill informed Americans, I am sure plenty of our American cousins are well versed in the correct drinking of uisge beatha.

dennisking said:
The only thing you should put in a whisky is another whisky

Not *strictly* true. Some, particularly the more complex ones, benefit from the addition of (good, clean, preferably spring) water which, by diluting the power of the alcohol, allows the more delicate aromatics through...

But other than that, absolutely nothing should ever be added to whisky. Except when its Glenfiddich. In which case an equal measure of Drambuie makes me a very happy camper indeed... :lol:

Right enough Calum. Most professional whiskey tasters add about half as much water as malt for the reasons you say. I quite often add a tiny splash just to open up the flavours a bit more...

...unless it's breakfast time.

calumscott said:
dennisking said:

Not *strictly* true. Some, particularly the more complex ones, benefit from the addition of (good, clean, preferably spring) water which, by diluting the power of the alcohol, allows the more delicate aromatics through...

But other than that, absolutely nothing should ever be added to whisky. Except when its Glenfiddich. In which case an equal measure of Drambuie makes me a very happy camper indeed... :lol:

My farther in law used to attend a lot of meetings with distillery's, and brewery's, and told me of one occasion in the board room at The Macallen distillery where he was treated to a few drams from their board room bottles. Not only did they insist on adding water, the water used came from the same spring they draw their liquor from. He has added water to his whiskey ever since. Only difference is the water now comes from the Essex and Suffolk water co.

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society sells bottles of spring water for all the whisky producing regions so you can have an Islay spring water with your Islay malt. :thumb: :thumb:

Depending on the whisky I'll often add a wee splash of water. The pubs up here have wee jugs on the bar, they used to have wee taps for this reason :ugeek:

calumscott said:
dennisking said:

I'll be honest here and say I'm partial to a Whisky Mac at chrimbo. And I do use particularly **** whisky for that.

Whisky lemsip :sick: :sick: as if lemsip wasn't bad enough on its own!

The only time I have really enjoyed whisky was when I had a Toothache From Hell, and Bushmills (Black version I think, DH finished off the bottle pretty quick) was amazing. It's probably frowned upon to swish whisky round like mouthwash but I did swallow it after and was in a happy, floaty, pain-free world for a good bit after :D

Latest posts

Back