White Labs dry yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or they just repack Verdant and call it 1318.
I dont think so. Verdant Brewery's yeast may have started life as 1318 but it changed a lot over time in the Verdant brewery and Verdant IPA is easily distinguished from 1318. Has a distinctive flavour of its own.

And 1318 is a Wyeast strain so they can't call anything 1318! Hence calling the Verdant yeast Verdant IPA.

I dont think so. Verdant Brewery's yeast may have started life as 1318 but it changed a lot over time in the Verdant brewery and Verdant IPA is easily distinguished from 1318. Has a distinctive flavour of its own.

And 1318 is a Wyeast strain so they can't call anything 1318! Hence calling the Verdant yeast Verdant IPA.
Whoops, I meant to say 'repack Verdant and call it WLP066'.

Dried yeasts have been around for decades. I don't see liquid yeasts going away anytime soon
incorrect. Actually you are going to see wet yeast getting cheaper and becoming more prevelet. The main reasonn is the cost of production of dry yeast is waaay higher than wet. So actaully wet yeast is getting cheaper for me on a 10hcl batch versus dry now. And people like WHC are telling me its gong to get cheaper with a longer life.

incorrect
Um... Wtf?

Dried yeasts  have been around for decades. It's a pretty easily verifiable fact.

My first introduction to brewing was over 22 years ago, and that used dried yeast. And my recollection was that it wasn't a new product at that stage by any means

Actually you are going to see wet yeast getting cheaper and becoming more prevelet. The main reasonn is the cost of production of dry yeast is waaay higher than wet. So actaully wet yeast is getting cheaper for me on a 10hcl batch versus dry now. And people like WHC are telling me its gong to get cheaper with a longer life.
I highly doubt all of this. I'll believe it when I see it.

Listen to the recent podcast episode on the “thirst time” done by track brewing with the technical lead from WHC (massive provider of yeast in commercial brewing) and listen to what he’s saying about exactly how wet yeast will now come forward.

As an example for me a 5hcl pitch of dry yeast costs £44. And therefore £88 in a full size 10hcl batch is the cost. But a 10hcl pitch of wet yeast, of the same strain, from WHC costs only £45. And then with improvements all te wet yeast providers are found in longevity in viability plus bring live yeast (like bakers yeast) into brewing. This will happen.

Listen to the recent podcast episode on the “thirst time” done by track brewing with the technical lead from WHC (massive provider of yeast in commercial brewing) and listen to what he’s saying about exactly how wet yeast will now come forward.

As an example for me a 5hcl pitch of dry yeast costs £44. And therefore £88 in a full size 10hcl batch is the cost. But a 10hcl pitch of wet yeast, of the same strain, from WHC costs only £45. And then with improvements all te wet yeast providers are found in longevity in viability plus bring live yeast (like bakers yeast) into brewing. This will happen.
For commercial brewing quite possibly but for home brew I really doubt it, the biggest cost surely for liquid yeast is for shipping and handling, with dry yeast you can send it to the retailer in a cardboard box who can then store it in a standard warehouse, and then post it out in an envelope. For liquid you need to keep it cold throughout the chain. This can easily be absorbed in a 10hcl pitch but not so much in a single pack meant for a 19L home brew batch.

Back