Wholesale grain supplies

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can source wholesale grain/barley/hops in east lancs? I feel the price in shops is over the top for me! I have been to the local corn mills and they just sell animal feeds!
Thanks in advance. :cheers:

Try buying from one of the online shops, they tend to be cheaper than LHBS. The Malt Miller is my personal recommendation but there are others including the site sponsors. If you buy your pale malt by the 25kg this will reduce the price.

The malt Miller is about 25.00 for a 25kg sack, and malt buy the kilo about £1.25. You will be charged carraige on that though.

A wholesaler is unlikely to supply you with small quantities and if they did would probably charge you retail prices.

Good Luck

AG

Try Barley Bottom in Keighly . . .Or if you want 250Kg in one go Thomas Fawcetts

Could always try setting up a small buying group.

e.g 3 or so Brewers from Sheffield area buy a sack of each and split between them or sumit like that

Do the likes of Barley Bottom go to Northern Craft Brewers meeting or other events ?

Phil

try and get friendly with a local microbrewery

Thats an option ;)

but............ Bit slow submitting as 46 said

250Kg in one go Thomas Fawcetts

:hmm: 10 bags :hmm: I need to check out the price less than £20 "springs" to mind ;)

Looks like we need a local co-operative around here. ;)

Whats a typical shelf life A ?

12 months uncrushed . . .although Muntons put a 12 month life on their crushed grain too

Aleman said:
12 months uncrushed . . .although Muntons put a 12 month life on their crushed grain too
Thanks A, good point, as well, shame to get the wrong stuff :oops: :lol:

If I get uncrushed is it cheaper? And if so can I crush it it my blender?? :cheers:

East Lancs here (Rossendale), if you're interested, there's a small group of us (4) who have bought in the past to keep costs down, got malt from the malt miller, £7.50 delivery, no matter how many sacks & bought hops from the thrifty shopper. Give us a shout if you want to join us, also anyone else around the east Lancs area

Top man kencurry. I live in Rossy, Haslingden actually!! Yea! ded interested in buying with you guys. As I say its early days brewing so I am feeling my way. Not sure what I need as regard grains etc, but will be guided by the masses. I intend in keeping it simple ie boil in the bag stuff but old habits etc. I am currently brewing a tin of Geordie and some cider to get myself back going but as yet aint a clue what they will be like when done? Its 25 years since I brewed from grain, just got the bug again and couldn’t help myself when I saw the tin in wilkinsons! Anyway cheers for the offer I will be very grateful of any info you could give re the co operative! :thumb:

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news Ken, but Malt Miller has had to change his courier charges :( :( :(
I'm personally am working on a trip to Murphy's at Nottingham for a bag or two. ;) :D

Just do a google Red, my connection is nearly belly again, so can't post info. Google is the answer to load of things you don't know. :D

Wouldn't want to mislead anyone Wendy,........but that's how it was, but check for yourself, its like being at work the rules change periodically :lol: not boris's fault. :)

Got an email today from Worcester Hop Shop, they're doing 25kg Munton's crushed Maris Otter for £23, not sure of the delivery charges.

Delivery charges are charged at cost:-

Charges are for the UK mainland:-

Under 1kg first class delivery charges
1kg to 2kg standard royal mail parcels £4.41
2kg to 32kg £7.49 Courier
32kg to 64kg £14.98
64kg to 96kg £22.47

Charges for Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Isle of Scilly, Isle of Wight, Grampian, Scottish Highlands, Orkney, Shetland or Western Isles :-

Under 1kg first class delivery charges
1kg to 2kg standard royal mail parcels £4.41
2kg to 32kg £14.99 Courier
32kg to 64kg £29.98 Courier
64kg to 96kg £44.97 Courier

Northern Ireland up to 32kg £14.99

simcoe, chinook, saaz now in stock

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk

Back