Why I fecking Hate Microsoft

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclepumble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Why I fecking Hate Microsoft.

I was upgrading a PC from xp to win7, therefore I backed all the files up using files and settings transfer wizard.

Then installed win 7 great all working.

then tried to bring back files and settings in, "no no no" said microsoft we don't understand that type of backup file, it needs to be the new type.

OIC thought I I will put XP back on then transfer in the new format.

"NO NO NO" said XP you have a SATA hard drive and we can't see it.

OH Feck thought I, much digging and found an old IDE HD, formatted it put XP on it tried to transfer "no no no" said files and setting transfer we don't recognise the file,

Lets look on tinternet says I, bloody comp needed to have service pack 3c installed as the old one was fulluy up to date.

so updated got working, HD gave up the ghost and lost its xp install. "FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK FECK" said I.

So went to mates borrowed spare IDE HD, went throuygh above again.

Transfered files back to XP using files and settings transfer wiz "This bit only took 7 hours".

Now I am transfering back using windows easy transfer, 1 hr
so far, then have to install win 7 again and transfer saved xp files into Win 7.

My weekend has gone no fun for me!
My Wife hates me My kids hate me cos I am like a bear with a sore head and have had no time for them all weekend
& I hate fecking Microsoft.

P.S. its also the last time I do the Mother in law a favour.

UP

would have been easier to have got an external hard drive dude :ugeek:

isnt hindsight a wonderful thing

Moley, i think i have spelt that 'h' word wrong!!! :rofl:

it would not install on an external HD I tried it, i have 2 500gb externals spare.

therefore hindsight is as usefull as files and settings transfer wizard dude! :ugeek:

UP

instead of giving half his money away maybe Bill should have spent some of it on user friendly systems that my mum could use :lol: (she learnt how to use the VHS as shops stopped selling it :rofl: )
Microsoft could employ her - if she could use it anyone could

I'm a recent convert to Linux and can't see myself paying Bill again

unclepumble said:
I know where I would like to stick XP.

I was doing it as a favour, its not my comp!
Tsk tsk, if it aint broke, don't fix it! :twisted:

Well well another user having a hard time with M$'s easy to use OS :D

The "backup" programs are a PITA. Works in one version but not another, or requires another sp. :wha:

One of the reasons I love Linux :cheers: Been on Mint for 3 years and have done many installs/upgrades in that time, no problems like that (Mint outputs a new version every 6 months :thumb: )

artyb said:
ya gotta love a mac.... ;)
speak for yourself
Flasher-in-a-mac-001.jpg

:D
UP

Just use Acronis to do the backup to the external device . . .flatten and install windows 7 restore backup . . . job done

File and settings transfer wizard :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

As SMc said have you thought about linux, I have been with Ubuntu for about 4 years and other linux dristos for 5years before that. :D :D :D
When the daughters machine went belly up 9 years ago I had to ring Microshaft and give them a fifty or so digit code they then gave me 40 or so digits back to reactivate software that I had actual paid for :evil: :nono: Out came my Windows :lol:
Since then linux has been great. One disc install, that puts loads of software on beside operating system. Open office,all the bits, which look quite like and reads and save office files, photo and music managers, drafting package, GIMP better than Photo shop etc. etc. Loads of software from their package manager available, even an ebay snipper, whatever you want there a good chance its out there......................and its free :D :D
Enough of a free advert from me try it out :lol:
S
P.S. How about puppy linux, bootable from a disc or stick to read and save data files when Windows fall out.
S

Once I had to reinstall Windows XP and had loads of hassle. In the end I had to phone Microsoft to prove it was a genuine copy. I left a message on their helpdesk telling them I'd be using other developers software when possible and if I had to use a Microsoft product I'd get a pirated copy to save 'activation' issues. I was well wound up by Microsoft that day :x

Linux is fine, but when something goes wrong, you just get a screen of arcane gibberish that needs a computer scientist to untangle....

And much as I like slinging muck at microsoft, Open Office is at least a decade behind MS Office.

It simply isnt an option for me.

jonewer said:
Linux is fine, but when something goes wrong, you just get a screen of arcane gibberish that needs a computer scientist to untangle....

When was the last time you tried a Linux distro? They have come a LONG way in the past few years.
As to a screen of arcane gibberish, I think you are thinking of the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, a M$ issue.

And as to OoO being 10 years behind office, depends on what you are doing with it. Most users use maybe 10% of office's functionality and will find OoO perfect, esp. now that M$ are wanting all you people who BOUGHT a cheap LEGAL copy of office through several options to cough up for a FULL license now. (seenhttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/09/microsoft_ends_employee_purchase_program/)

And if you work for the NHS and had a cheap copy of XP/office then you have to buy a FULL copy again :lol:
Makes me glad that I only pay for s/w that I find useful rather than everything. My OS is free as is 99% of the s/w I run, I have registered some shareware stuff that I found worthwhile, but mostly I use free stuff. :oops: :cheers:

Anyway chill and have a homebrew :drink:

They were my thoughts entirely 100 % correct HB, but I didn't bother cos its not our place to try and make linux rule the world, that's what Bill tried to do with Microsoft :lol:

And as you also said

Anyway chill and have a homebrew :drink:
Not tried mint, don't think I will cos Ubuntu does it all for me. I am far from a computer scientist, only time I had lots of screen messages were years ago when trying to install none specific software. Does'nt happen now especially with Ubuntu, cos it all seems to be there. :D

Sorry UP stole the thread have you got it sorted yet or still pulling hair out :lol:

S

Latest posts

Back