My Daughters boyfriend plucked up my desktop computer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have mentioned a few times in the past that I can just about get around a puter, but when it comes to all the technical stuff I tend to leave it to others.

Yesterday my daughters boyfriend said that he had a copy of Windows 7 which he would put on my desktop. I was running XP until he TRIED to replace it. For some reason a file was missing on the disk and it wouldn't load. He then went home and picked up a copy of XP Pro which he said would load normally. This loaded fine and all was well until I tried to find an internet connection. This is where it gets all confusing for me, to the extent that I keep looking at the sledgehammer outside the back door !!.

When we were on Tiscali it was just a case of sticking the supplied disk into the drive and going through the motions which gave us dial up Tiscali Broadband. Talk Talk took over the British arm of Tiscali a while ago and since then we have gone on to some sort of local area connection which gives us an average speed of 8meg. Our local exchange was updated to accomodate this and we also pay a small monthly charge for TalkTalk tv which is just a glorified freeview box with extras like catchup tv, record, rewind and all the usual film buying services.

I am using my daughters laptop to type this at the kitchen table, so there is no problem with the wireless connection. The tv side of things is fine so its just the desktop that needs sorting out.

Do any of you good people know how I can restore the internet to my desktop. Are there any drivers ( I think you call them that) that need installing to fix it. Help would be really appreciated, because at the moment I really don't want to be picking up and using a sledgehammer on it as I still have a bad back.

Thanks Neil

drivers are your best bet yeah. if you have a disk that was given to you with the computer, that will more than likely have the required drivers on.

Do you have a cable that plugs your router/modem into your internet? If so, that should connect you temporarily to make things easy...

Hi there Rob

I do have a disk but that is for the old Tiscali dial up broadband. Talk Talk took them over and a while after we had Talk Talk tv installed. The cable from the router does link up to the desk top and this gives us the internet because we now have local area connection(this was upgraded from normal dial up). Even though it is still plugged in to the back of the tower, no internet is registering. There must be a way of going through the settings but I don't have a clue.

Neil

Have a look on the computer device manager to see if the drivers for the Ethernet is there. If it ain't then you will need to download them. What computer and model number is it?

Thanks Cyclops.

Its working now, but I still think there is something that is not quite right. I will see if it dies in the next few days and then have another look at the sledgehammer :evil: .

Cheers Neil

Latest posts

Back