Why still cloudy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot Pete

Reaction score
Hi all

My second ever kit beer is a Muntons Premium 'Smugglers' Ale. Did this the first time too. Thought I would try again to see if I could perfect it!

The instructions have been followed TO THE LETTER and everything was scrupulously clean, water treated with Campden tablets etc etc etc. However, after nearly 5 weeks in the keg in a 'cool' room, with a top of CO2 the beer is still cloudy. The same happened with the first kit. The first couple out of the barrel are a bit harsh to taste, but then the rest taste good.

Have I done anything wrong? The instructions say it should be ready after 2 weeks in the keg.....

Also, can I do anything now to clear the beer? It tastes good, but my skeptical neighbours make comments about 'home brew' being **** and wouldn't drink it as it will cause an upset stomach etc etc!!!!! I know, all the more for me, but I would really like to impress them with a great tasting, great looking pint!

All suggestions welcome.

Many thanks and happy Crimbo.

PP

How long did you leave the beer in primary. Many of the kits say that the beer should be ready to keg after 5 or 6 days but in reality you want to be leaving the beer untouched for around 11-14 days (and even longer). The extra time will ensure that the fermentation has completed and will also allow the yeast to begin to drop out.

However if you still have cloudy beer you could try using some gelatin to clear it off. Just take a sachet of gellatin (just the stuff in the baking aisle at the supermarket and disolve in around a half pint of hot water (not boiling). Open up the keg and then gently stir in the dissolved gellatin trying not to splash around if possible. Top again with CO2. If in a cool place you should find that the beer will drop clear in 24-48 hours.

Thanks Dunfie

First fermentation was about 10-11 days....fermentation had stopped according to the gravity, and it looked pretty inactive! Not sure if the yeast had 'dropped out'...is there a way of telling?

I shall try the gelatine method, thanks for the advice.

PP

you mention cool room. how cool?

A week to 10 days at fridge temps will help to drop out the yeast, but this in itself, may also introduce a chill haze.

However chill will disapear very quickly once brought to above 7-8 deg C .

A few more weeks at low fridge temps and chill haze will stabilise to give you bright beer at any temp.

Up

Hi Uncle P

Cool.......well, below average room temperature, but no where near as cold as a fridge. I have moved it to our unheated conservatory, which is only slightly above outside temperature so that might do the trick! I suspect this was the same problem with my first kit as well then....not cool enough. What do you do in the summer to keep it cool? Buy an old fridge and put it in there?

Cheers

PP

p.s. Are you just down the road from me in South Cheshire then? I'm in Congleton.

Back