Wiffy Wurzels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebrey

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bottled my first wurzels after following the guide on here (Except I did a 5 gallon lot instead of 1 gallon!) All seems to be fine, except it has a bit of a wiff. Really hard to describe, but a bit off-putting. Can anyone confirm if this is normal or if it disappears with aging? Or do I have issues?!?

Thanks,

Paul

My first (and only so far - must do another) batch was 5 gallons. It smelt wierd, and even after aging smelt and tasted horrible. I put it down to fermenting at too cold a temperature - it took bloody ages.

I will do another at a more controlled temp.

Well fermentation is basically a controlled rotting process, so there can be some funny smells while it's working but they pass. If it's a standard Wurzel's Orange it shouldn't really whiff, although you can get some sulphurous smells from apple and other juice combinations. Again, they subside.

Mine doesn't whiff, and doesn't particularly smell or taste of oranges, no-one has guessed when I've given bottles away without telling what it was made from.

Can you describe the whiff?

Latest posts

Back