wilko.com sale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's about this then. I popped into Wilkos yesterday to see if they had restocked the shelves after my mate emptied them for me on Saturday and I was disappointed to see they hadn't :( . But then I spotted some of their 30 bottle wine kits had been on a previous offer down from £23 to £15 and they hadn't removed the previous offer price from the shelf, so being cheeky I asked the assistant if it was then 50% off the lower price which she then said she had to honour as I had seen at the lower price so I cleared the last 4 of them aswell for £7.50 each :party: .

They were these ones.

20130611_143550_zps15c96ce9.jpg

So together with the raid from the other day it looks like this.

20130611_143922_zpseaa7bdbf.jpg

I do like a good deal :thumb:

Rats, I was going to nip and get 2 more demi johns at lunch, and maybe another wine kit off the shelf.

Plus side, I will save some money and work through the 12 kits I seem to have stockpiled

MadrikXIV said:
Rats, I was going to nip and get 2 more demi johns at lunch, and maybe another wine kit off the shelf.

Plus side, I will save some money and work through the 12 kits I seem to have stockpiled
I know its terrible "innit?"
What with silly offers from Tesco and Wilko i have ammased 18 my self.
Having done 28 brews this year so far (not all kits, 2 WOW, 1 Ginger Beer and 7 TC) and with 18 kits in the shed for later i have paid full price for...2 out of 36(?)!!

I ended up with 19 two can beer kits and 11 thirty bottle wine kits. :cheers:

With only 5 Wilko kegs to fill I didn't want to have to 'rush' the drinking of them :D

Sure 12 beer kits should last me a while, although I do keep deciding on things to fermenet for wine, once I empty some demi's

I'm wondering what effect this sale is going to have on all the small home brew shops.

I always used my lhbs with Wherry at £22 even though I knew I could get it for £18 at Wilko's but at £9 I just couldn't really justify my loyalty to my lhbs.

I stocked up with about 6 months worth of kits so that's one customer my lhbs isn't going to see for a long time and I bet there are plenty of others who have done the same with the offer being talked about on all the brewing forums.

I was thinking this as I've stocked up on sugar an kits from wllkos so won't make visit for quite a while

My LHBS doesn't sell what I use for brewing most of the time (AG stuff) so I wasn't a customer anyway. The only things he stocks is young's branded grains and hops, most of which have been there for quite a while.

Most of my purchases are from the forum sponsors, and the cider/wine kits and brewing sugar I've bought hasn't affected that - I wouldn't have considered buying them at full price anyway.

fbsf said:
My LHBS doesn't sell what I use for brewing most of the time (AG stuff) so I wasn't a customer anyway. The only things he stocks is young's branded grains and hops, most of which have been there for quite a while.

Most of my purchases are from the forum sponsors, and the cider/wine kits and brewing sugar I've bought hasn't affected that - I wouldn't have considered buying them at full price anyway.
I figured the AG brewers wouldn't really have been able to cash in with the offer. But the kit brewers, both wine and beer, have had a field day if they had the cash available to stock up.

hoofy said:
I'm wondering what effect this sale is going to have on all the small home brew shops.

I always used my lhbs with Wherry at £22 even though I knew I could get it for £18 at Wilko's but at £9 I just couldn't really justify my loyalty to my lhbs.

I stocked up with about 6 months worth of kits so that's one customer my lhbs isn't going to see for a long time and I bet there are plenty of others who have done the same with the offer being talked about on all the brewing forums.
It is a very pertinent point you have raised and one in the frenzy of buying hugely discounted goods, most of us will have overlooked.
Being realistic big companies such as wilko and tesco, both of whom have been selling discounted home brew stock for most of the time i have been brewing, will always be able to cut out the smaller operators - especially nieche retailers such as the lhbs ones.
Sadly i think there is a certain innevitability in all this and while i do feel sorry for small lhbs operators (how can they compete with companies selling stock cheaper than they can buy it??) and the knowledge and help they offer, both the goods and the knowledge can be obtained elsewhere.
I have received advice from my lhbs but i have got far more from here, kits can (for now, maybe when all the lhbs are gone wilko and tesco will seem less like the brewers friend) be obtained cheaper elsewhere, and other brewing ingredients too.
Will the online highstreet and big boys kill the brewshops?

Bet they've lost a fortune on this 50% reduction sale :hmm: :hmm:
We're like a plague of locusts where discounted brewing stuffs concerned.. :rofl:

BB :drink:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
We're like a plague of locusts where discounted brewing stuffs concerned.. :rofl:

Short term loss - long term gain??

hoofy said:
fbsf said:

I figured the AG brewers wouldn't really have been able to cash in with the offer. But the kit brewers, both wine and beer, have had a field day if they had the cash available to stock up.

As an AG brewer who likes a bargain I did have to stop myself buying the kits. The 2 can kits at half price started to appeal to the side of me that likes a bargain and i'd think "only 9 quid for a wherry" before the AG side of me had to intervene and remind myself that I can make the same amount of a better quality beer that is more to my tastes for about the same.

Kinleycat said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:

Short term loss - long term gain??
Yeah, our bellies.... :shock:

Back