The Wine Loft, St Helens.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
Please read post #14 after you read this they may be still open - Admin.

My local home-brew shop. I've been a customer ever since I started brewing again seriously. After all, I figure, if you don't support your local shop...

Drove over there on Tuesday, and all shut up. Oh well, that's annoying. Rang up when I got home. Yes, we are closed. Is it for good? Yes, it is. Just too much vandalism, the woman who runs it said. I did some Googling later, and found this, it's from 2019, but if they've had more of the same, you can't blame anyone for knocking it on the head, can you?

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/17756821.drug-addict-jailed-robbery-wine-loft-north-road/

Last edited by a moderator:
The 41-year-old drug addict was jailed for three years after admitting to robbery and possession of a small lock knife, which was found on him when searched by police on arrest.

Stuart Nolan, defending, said that Simpkin, of Hey Street, Ince, Wigan, who appeared in court via video link from prison, has 38 previous convictions but mainly for burglary and shoplifting and none for robbery.

Its a shame she has decided to close the shop.

Yet another reason for me why certain drugs should be legalised.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that, but it seems they are offering a delivery service via their website, but whether that is just a question of trying to dispose of existing stock, or they hope to continue thus in the long-term, I don't know.

Its a shame she has decided to close the shop.

Yet another reason for me why certain drugs should be legalised.

1705603556587.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_150918_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_150918_Chrome.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
...and Hi from another ex-Wiganer - in Bristol for the last 35 years.

I started my brewing by buying kits from A&B Temple at age 17 in 1971. The kits comprised a bag containing some anonymous kind of grain, a bottle of malt extract, a packet of ancient dried-out, anonymous hops, and a sachet of baker's yeast. Instructions were to boil the lot for 35 mins, then add 1 lb sugar to 2 gallons of wort. Terrible stuff!

There used to be an arcade between King St & Library Street. Part of Arcade St still exists at the Library St end, but it's closed off and boarded-up on King St. A&B Temple used to be just inside that arcade.

I've begun brewing 18 months ago,I had a go at home brew 30 yrs ago with not very good results, I'm glad to say more recent efforts are much better and will keep me at it in future 😀

I started by buying second hand gear this time ,the Internet helped ,the first purchase was for fermenter and a bit of gear thrown in,also it came with 2 brewing kits which I found out ltr were 8 yrs out of date ,so I thought what the hell II'll give them a whirl anyway as I already had em and its my comeback brew,despite being yonks out of date,they were smashing and encouraged me to invest further 😉

I've a question to ask on wine,I've made a few solomon grundy/magnum wine kits with no issue apart from ,the acidity/tang not being sharp enough, the wine is very drinkable as I can testify, but a bit lacking in acidity, it looks like shop bought wine just missing some tang,how do I increase acidity in finished wine ,30 bottle kits?any advice is welcomed,thanks

I've a question to ask on wine,I've made a few solomon grundy/magnum wine kits with no issue apart from ,the acidity/tang not being sharp enough, the wine is very drinkable as I can testify, but a bit lacking in acidity, it looks like shop bought wine just missing some tang,how do I increase acidity in finished wine ,30 bottle kits?any advice is welcomed,thanks
Add Citric Acid?

I've got some youngs citric acid which I don't really know much about ,I did some wine last year from.juice rather than kits,how much per bottle or 30 bottle kit?

I've got a rose wine kit on the go,I'll see what I can do with it ,first ever rose kit from.magnum ,I'll see what it turns out like, and go from there

Not sure if people already know this, but The Wine Loft is still trading, I jumped on a bus to St Helens from Leigh today for emergency yeast- glad I didn’t read this thread first 😃

Opening times are limited and you have to buzz to be let in, the lovely helpful lady did say they’d been having some trouble due mainly to the shops around them, but they’re definitely still going.

That's good to hear; obviously they've had a change of heart. I see their website has been updated with new opening hours, previously it had said the shop was closed. A lot more convenient for me that trailing over to Julie's Homebrew in Newton Heath.

Latest posts

Back