Wilko kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic Warrior

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post. My son bought me a Wilko kit for my birthday, and generally it is OK. However some of the parts are a mystery and the instructions are not that clear. As an example, they didi not say the bucket had to be plugged, or left open. I have plugged it. Is ther a list with illustrations showing what is what. I have a clear hollow piece of plastic a couple if inches long? and an opaque piece with a tail attached which is as deep as the bucket. Any help for my firts brew would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Atomic Warrior, firstly welcome to the forum, I hope you're finding it a nice place? Is there a chance that you can take a picture and post it on here for us to look at what you're asking and better able to advise you?

Hello all, my first post. My son bought me a Wilko kit for my birthday, and generally it is OK. However some of the parts are a mystery and the instructions are not that clear. As an example, they didi not say the bucket had to be plugged, or left open. I have plugged it. Is ther a list with illustrations showing what is what. I have a clear hollow piece of plastic a couple if inches long? and an opaque piece with a tail attached which is as deep as the bucket. Any help for my firts brew would be greatly appreciated.
Syphon tube and pipe for transferring when your brew is finished. If you look here on Wilko online you'll see what they have equipment wise so as you can identify.
As regards to starting of there are some good guides for beginners that will help you on your journey.

Thanks Gerryjo and Banbeer for your help, I now know what 1 piece of kit is, would you be able to let me know what the items in the attached are please.
The longer tube is pushed into the syphon tube, and stops crud in the bottom of the fermenting bucket getting into the Pressure barrel?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20200825_094345.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200825_094345.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 45
  • thumbnail_IMG_20200825_094714.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20200825_094714.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Gerryjo and Banbeer for your help, I now know what 1 piece of kit is, would you be able to let me know what the items in the attached are please.
The longer tube is pushed into the syphon tube, and stops crud in the bottom of the fermenting bucket getting into the Pressure barrel?
The photo on the LHS is an airlock which fits into a grommet which you may have in the lid of your FV (fermenting vessel). A small amount of water goes into the bottom of the larger part and the cap then fits down into it to provide a seal, which still allows CO2 to escape from the FV but stops air flowing the other way.
And the RH photo shows the inverted trap at the end of the cane which does indeed help to prevent crud/trub passing forward as the siphon gets going. The trick is to place the trap just off the bottom as you empty the FV, then lower it to just above the trub at the end as you draw off the last litre or so of beer. And tilting the FV at the end helps, I place a block of wood under the base towards the end so both hands are still free, since I also use a clip to keep the siphon fixed to the edge of the FV.

Latest posts

Back