Wilko's Best Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the third own label two can kit done by Wilko. By far the most popular is the Golden Ale, followed by the Real Ale. In the last sale, I also picked up one of the Best Bitter kits (£12.75 - those were the days). It is in similar packaging, but it is blue and I never drank a blue beer before, so maybe this is why it seems less popular?

Brewed it as an Extra Special Bitter - doing a boil for 20 minutes or so with 500g DME and the last of some hops called Junga (Northern Brewer crossed with Marynka). The hops were pretty ancient and cost me £1 from the MM bargain bin. Brewed with some (500g) additional sugar and "long" to 26L

After almost 6 weeks in the bottle it is really good. I mean seriously good for what was a cheap kit. Wonderful malty taste and something flavour wise from the 25g of ancient hops.

Can only be weak packaging that has let it down sales-wise.

That sounds good. I'm sure the hops were ok, stored correctly they keep well. Hope retailers seem to keep hops on sale until 3 years from the harvest year, and then sell off cheaply - I've used three year old hops and they've been fine.

Cheers, clibit, I guess that vacuum packing really works.

I am very impressed with this, but omitted to mention that I used Coopers yeast.

I have a collection of the Muntons/Wilco/etc kit yeast sachets in the fridge and would now be reluctant to use them. Certainly, I don't really think this yeast has what it takes for 25L brews at 6-7g. If I use it, it will be two sachets at a time. 2Pacs?

Back