Will be having a go at AG at the weekend but am already planning next brew , were to get flaked corn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all , the lovely peeps at crossmyloof have pointed me in the right direction , I have a couple of their 1 gallon biab kits to try which I'll have a bash at over the weekend all being well ( were all doomed and hibbies Irish red ale ) .
Just need to figure out the water volumes I need for strike and sparge lol.

I'm already 2 steps ahead on what I want to have a go at next but I'm stuck on an ingredient flaked corn.
Looked about and loof,geb,malt miller don't seem to stock.
Any suggestions?

Managed to get a 19l pot , figured out a ss false bottom for it .
This should enable me to do 10l brews as well I hope ;) .

Been playing with the brewfather app and this is where I got the recipe I'd like to try from .
I think I have done it right though the only option for biab is no sparge , was going to use a big colander over pan to sparge so need to work out how to adjust the water volumes somehow .
More learning needed ;)
This hobby is addictive...
Hope your all well and sorry for rambling on 🍻

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-15-17-33-51-373_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-15-17-33-51-373_com.warpkode.brewfather.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 4
1663261711985.png

Breakfast cereals are basically the same as you get in the homebrew store, except that they have been fortified with some stuff that won't make much difference, and often additional sugar and salt. Supermarket own-brand cornflakes probably have less salt than Kellogg's. For 44g of flaked corn, the added sugar will be completely negligible compared with what you get from the mash, and the salt won't make much difference. But you may feel safer using 'the proper stuff'. I've brewed with cornflakes before, and any times that it asks for "torrified wheat" I use shredded wheat (I came second in a comp earlier this year with a brew that had shreddies in it)

Most supermarkets sell cornmeal, maizemeal or polenta. All are ground up corn with no additives. Give it a pre-boil to gelatinise it, unless it's labelled quick cook or instant.

Last edited:
I BIAB no sparge just for an easier life, with a negligibly bigger grain bill to compensate.
Not seen any evidence to suggest sparging produces better beer though each to their own and happy to be proved wrong.

I've always been a thorough bag squeezer though !

You brew with shredded wheat instead of torrified wheat? Does it need any special mashing?
Not that I've ever done - just chuck it in with rest of the grist. Assuming you have lots of barley malt in the grist, it will have enough enzymes to convert the starch in the wheat.

You brew with shredded wheat instead of torrified wheat? Does it need any special mashing?
Pre gelatinise or cereal mash for any unmalted adjuncts this alters the starch structure so the enzymes in the base mat can convert them. Buying the home brew shop flaked maize/corn the pre gelatinisation has already been done for you.

If a product has been heated with moisture through its gelatinisation temperature (swelling of starches) during manufacturing, it doesn't need to be cereal mashed or precooked. Like boiling pasta, flour during baking or potatoes during any form of cooking. Sometimes it's own moisture is enough, as in the way popcorn expands when heated in a dry pan.

As can be seen with the table below, malted barley had a gelatinisation temperature range that fits neatly into the standard mash range, therefore requiring no special treatment. It gelatinises during the mash.

iqvjO.jpg

Last edited:
I BIAB no sparge just for an easier life, with a negligibly bigger grain bill to compensate.
Not seen any evidence to suggest sparging produces better beer though each to their own and happy to be proved wrong.

I've always been a thorough bag squeezer though !
Maybe not "better" beer, but doing a sparge on a BIAB got me an increase from 21 gravity points per pound to 27.

Could you clarify dunk sparge , just dunk a few times in a separate pan of water ?
This is what I do:
After the mash I hoist the bag out and let it drain (I have a pulley above the boiler - makes life easier). Meanwhile I've sanitised the FV I'm going to be using, then I add 2 kettlefuls of boiling plus 1 of cold. This is my sparge water. Lower the drained bag into it, open the bag and give it a stir, then close it up again and hoist it up a bit to drain. After a while hoist the bag up above the boiler to drain further and tip the contents of the FV into the boiler.
Takes no additional time because while I've been sparging the boiler is set on to boil which in my case takes about 30 minutes.

This is what I do:
After the mash I hoist the bag out and let it drain (I have a pulley above the boiler - makes life easier). Meanwhile I've sanitised the FV I'm going to be using, then I add 2 kettlefuls of boiling plus 1 of cold. This is my sparge water. Lower the drained bag into it, open the bag and give it a stir, then close it up again and hoist it up a bit to drain. After a while hoist the bag up above the boiler to drain further and tip the contents of the FV into the boiler.
Takes no additional time because while I've been sparging the boiler is set on to boil which in my case takes about 30 minutes.
Why sanitise your FV at this point? The sparge water/wort will go into the boil, where it will be sanitised anyway. And by dunking your mash bag into the FV, you're going to be introducing all manner of things, so you'll just have to sanitise your FV again.

Latest posts

Back