Wine buddy kit - can I begin bottling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter logan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have only recently begun to start making wine and the previous two attempts I made it went ok with be Winebuddy kits. This attempt however has went slightly differently and I am wondering if I am able to bottle the wine I have now.

The previous attempts, after clearing the sediment was very fine and the wine was clear. This one the sediment appears lumpy and there is a few pieces of oak (less than 10 tiny pieces) floating in the wine, and some bubbles at the top. The photo I have attached shows the sediment and wine at the moment. Can someone tell me why this has happened and if I can bottle this now?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_20220330_115720221.jpg
    IMG_20220330_115720221.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 24
Hey Peter, welcome to the forum.

I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm looking at in the picture. What quantity of wine is it ? How long has it been fermenting ? Did you check its specific gravity when you started ? Do you know what it is now ?

I wouldn't worry too much about what the sediment looks like. Similarly the oak chips don't always sink.

Hi Colin,

The photo is of a plastic 5 litre container supplied with the wine buddy starter kit. I fermented for 7 days and the hydrometer showed that the wine was ready for bottling on the 7th day. I added the finings etc and waited 24hrs as per the instructions and what I had done before with a similar kit from the same company. I'm not sure what the gravity is now sorry. I was just worried about the appearance of the sediment as it is very different to the previous two attempts I had at this.

Hey Peter, welcome to the forum.

I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm looking at in the picture. What quantity of wine is it ? How long has it been fermenting ? Did you check its specific gravity when you started ? Do you know what it is now ?

I wouldn't worry too much about what the sediment looks like. Similarly the oak chips don't always sink.

Again, I wouldn't worry about how the sediment looks as long as it has settled and the wine looks clear you should be fine. I trust the gravity was less than 1.000 ?

You previously mentioned the bubbles on the surface. That's most likely just the wine naturally degassing.

If the wine has cleared its pretty safe to say fermentation has indeed stopped and is ready for bottling. Just be careful when your siphoning not to disturb the sediment.

Hopefully youll be able to avoid the oak bits when siphoning. Good luck đź‘Ť

Back