Wine - help a newbie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymidd

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post.

I've just bottled my second batch of Chardonnay using the Young's Wine Buddy 30 bottle 7 day kit (starting simple!). Each batch only yielded 26 bottles rather than 30. There was probably close to a bottle worth left in the fermentation bin prior to me hitting the sediment but still... I was extremely accurate with the quantities when brewing so just wondering if this is to he expected, and would I seriously ruin the next batch if I increased the amount of water etc to compensate? May be a stupid question but thanks in advance anyway!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have never made that particular kit wine but your volume losses do sound a bit high. Try giving it a week longer than they suggest and you will get a more settled sediment. You can always tip the lees into something like a 2 litre pop bottle and give it another week to settle out again.

However, don't increase the water to compensate, you've erred on the right side.

I've not done this kit yet but I have 2 sitting ready to do.

Are you sure you're using enough water. 23l / 700ml = 32 bottles, 23l / 750ml = 30 bottles. so to lose about 3 litres seems just a bit too much.

How many times do you rack the wine ? Maybe you're losing quite alot when doing that.

Latest posts

Back