Wine not clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niles

Reaction score
Hi

Made a supermarket juice drink 3ltr pure apple, 1.5ltr blue & blackberry, 4ltr red grape juice and water to 4gallons.
It fermented out ok so I racked it to another 5 gallon fermenting bin and a 2nd racking to 4 x 5ltr pet's added ct's,
pot sorb & kwik clear finings.
After 10 days it' still not cleared (very hazy). Think I made a mistake in that when I initially mixed the pectolose it was with hot water (I knew hot water killed yeast didn't realise it did the same to pectic enzyme).
I've made quite a number of juice drinks and never had a problem with clearing, the only other thing I did differently was I used Lalvin K1-116 yeast instead of Youngs super that I usually use (heard somewhere that this gives a fruitier taste).
A few questions if anbody could give some advise would be much appreciated:
1. Will it eventually clear if I leave it long enough.
2. Add more finings.
3. Rack again.
4. Is it a right off.

cheers

Some wines (including the cranberry mead I have clearing at the moment) have taken significantly longer than 10 days to clear. I'd say keep it somewhere cool and undisturbed and check back in a week to see if it's made any progress.

niles said:
1. Will it eventually clear if I leave it long enough.
2. Add more finings.
3. Rack again.
4. Is it a right off.
1. Probably, most wines will.
2. Not just yet. Finings or filtering won't get rid of a haze.
3. Is there much of a sediment? If yes, rack. If “not much”, don't bother.
4. That's “write off”. ;) And no, have a bit of patience.

Pectolase is a natural enzyme and hot liquids will kill it, just like yeast. I would give it a double dose of pectolase now and perhaps add more finings after another week.

Back