Wine Yeasts - Reusable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I've been looking at a few sites recently regarding beer yeast reuse and storing.
Is this possible with wine yeasts out there?, has anyone done it.

I think the sterilising tablets at the end would kill of the yeastys, i mean, that is their job.

But i just it could work out like "the bug" on ginger ale brews

I generally rerack my wines off the yeast and trub before adding campdens, besides i could always syphon it out from the bottom too.
Plus the stuff i brew here is always in the region of 22% so i dilute and sweeten when i bottle.
So far i have been using allinsons baking yeast with grest success but i have an order of 'real' wine yeasts, cider and champagne coming over shortly.
Allinsons is no problem i got loads of it but cant get back to UK that often to stock so hence the question of reuse.
First time i do a decent yeast i'll give it a go, got the test tubes and gelatine ready :cheers:

Campden tablets/SO2 will not harm the yeast!
If you have too much sulphur dioxide present it will inhibit the yeast, but it will start wotrking again once the SO2 has dissipated.
On the other hand if you have used Potassium Sorbate it's bye bye yeasties, they cannot reproduce.

Never had to use any Potassium Sorbate in any of my wines they all cleared naturally given time even my cloudy fig wine. Besides never had any to put in anyway. lol

Latest posts

Back