With no shed or garage, where do you put your Fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snielsen81

Reaction score
And how do you control the temperature?

I'm trying to find a place with the most constant temperature possible, so I could do with some thoughts and ideas. Currently moved from the bedroom into an airing cupboard. With very cold nights and central heating coming on sporadically, I think I've failed at keeping it between 18-21C over the past week...

In the diner area of our kitchen, on a shelving rack (top shelf, shelf below is where I store full beer bottles). No temperature control, so I try to either ferment styles like like a nice warm ferment (Belgian mostly), or use a yeast that is ok at warmer temps (Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell). Constantly warm here (20-22 degrees) as we don't have a proper thermostat on the boiler, and if we turn it down to low a fan in it fails and the boiler stops completely until we give it a slap...

Down the line, once I have the space and the cash, I plan to put together a fermentation fridge so I can get some proper temperature control going.

I've got a brewfridge but it only fits one FV and I normally have two on the go at any one time, so the one that would benefit less from temperature control sits behind an armchair in the corner of the living room. It rarely moves from 18-20c so I still get decent results.

In winter my FV goes in the airing cupboard with the door ajar - keeps a fairly constant 20c or thereabouts.
In summer the living room is a steady 18c. In slightly cooler weather our bedroom does the job. And it's all free temperature control.

I stick mine in the living room in a convenient little spot near (but not right next to) the radiator.

Cupboard under the stairs. I keep saying I’m going to insulate it but never got around to it - my heat belt and inkbird do a good job of regulating the temperature.

Before the brew fridge it was under the kitchen table with heat pad and inkbird. Then when it gets super hot just brewed saisons in the same place.

same as OP, but before it was in the kitchen, with a heat belt.
the airing cupboard should be ok. it shouldn't reach any lower than 18 or any higher than 23 unless you've got a healthy start from the yeast where a couple of digits higher isn't unusual.

I was handed some hot water tank blankets some time ago, which help maintain a steady heat if it does drop. maybe invest in some (check online)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-x-18-...767689&hash=item33a2b93330:g:eoEAAOSwxYxUt5xd

In winter my FV goes in the airing cupboard with the door ajar .........

Here's a HomeBrewer who will almost certainly be called upon to wash and iron clothing and bedding in the future; after a brew decides to go walkabout.

I stick mine in the living room ............

In the dining room.
I managed to convince the boss that underfloor heating would benefit the whole family...

... and here are two examples of people with very understanding partners and (I suspect) no young children

Personally, I designed and used the "contraption" in the photograph.

Contraption 2.jpg

Made out of a spare bit of shelving and a duvet cover it could easily have been put anywhere that was large enough.

My advice is to explain your needs to whoever you live with and then make sure that:
  • They fully understand that they are responsible for any accidents that may occur.
  • You try and make sure that any accidents are controlled to cause the minimum of distress to anyone.
Enjoy!:gulp:

Here's a HomeBrewer who will almost certainly be called upon to wash and iron clothing and bedding in the future; after a brew decides to go walkabout.

... and here are two examples of people with very understanding partners and (I suspect) no young children

Personally, I designed and used the "contraption" in the photograph.

View attachment 12561

Made out of a spare bit of shelving and a duvet cover it could easily have been put anywhere that was large enough.

My advice is to explain your needs to whoever you live with and then make sure that:
  • They fully understand that they are responsible for any accidents that may occur.
  • You try and make sure that any accidents are controlled to cause the minimum of distress to anyone.
Enjoy!:gulp:
And above all minimum stress to the yeast

Back