wlp002

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,did a milk stout last week 13th, pitched with a split wlp002 yeast for the first time, it's still bubbling away fairly vigorously after 9 days is this normal with this yeast as i normally use so4 or so5 and that has normally slowed right down or stopped by now.
johnluc

Hi Johnluc - when I brew a stout I generally use wlp004 not 002 and leave it for at least 14 days in the fv. If you've still got fermentation going in then let it be. You might want to check the gravity to see where you are at the moment though.

Grmski

I have just finished a mild sort of beer and it was still going after 7days. Left it for 15 days before crash cooling.

D

thanks for your replies guys,wasn't meant to be a stout i effed up royally, i was meant to be brewing a bitter but wrote my recipe out as 370 grms of black malt (the amount of sugar) instead of 53grms, so i juggled about with what i had done and came up with a milk stout, as i had made the starter it was use it or bin it.
johnluc.

yes 250grm lactose, had made this stout before for mrs luc, a milk stout from dave lines book, very nice beer,

Hi all, stout now been in fermenter for 15 days, thought i'd bottle it today but having checked it it's still at 1020 is this normal for this yeast it surely can't be finnished yet,no more action in fermenter and it seems everything has dropped out.
johnluc.

johnluc said:
Hi all, stout now been in fermenter for 15 days, thought i'd bottle it today but having checked it it's still at 1020 is this normal for this yeast it surely can't be finnished yet,no more action in fermenter and it seems everything has dropped out.
johnluc.

1020 seems to be that magic "stuck" number...

There's a few threads about resurrecting a stuck brew. Might be worth reading one and seeing if it can help a little?

thanks lovelldr will check it out, thought it would be ok as it was bubbling like a good'un for 10 days.
johnluc

trawlled through the forum can't find big yins sticky, can someone tell me what to do about this stuck ferment, do i up the temp, give it a good stir,or add more yeast, and as i used wlp002 do i need to make a new starter or can i pitch a sachet of sa004 or 005.
johnluc.

Make sure not to oxidise the beer tho by making lots of bubbles. Be fairly gentle, but firm enough to actually mix it...

Don't forget that the fg will be higher for a milk stout due to the unfermentable lactose that you added.

I'll rephraze that then..Give it a thorough rouse with your favorite weapon, I use a great big spoon being careful not to spill it on the floor nor get any oxygen in it.

Then turn the temperature up a notch. Leave it for 4 days and see if the gravity has dropped 'owt....

I would have thought that your final gravity to be about 1014-1016 so not got a lot to go. when it stops and the gravity has been constant for 2 days then bottle or chuck it in a keg. I bet it tastes a bit heavy with that much black malt, a bit like soot.

robbarwell said:
I bet it tastes a bit heavy with that much black malt, a bit like soot.

Not necessarily. I did a dark mild (and am drinking one now) that had 6kg of pale 400g black, 220g crystal and a bit of wheat in a 25l brew length and I used WLP002 and it tastes great. Took a while to come good mind but is far from sooty.

I would have thought that the addition of the lactose and the flavours that come from the yeast will help in this case also. :thumb:

I bet it tastes a bit heavy with that much black malt, a bit like soot.[/quote

thanks for replies guys, tasted the sample (as you do ) and it was very nice, should be a decent pint when it's finished. :cheers:
johnluc

Back