Woodfordes Wherry - f.g. 1018

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dops

Reaction score
I put on a Woodfordes Wherry kit 7 days ago. It started to ferment rigorously the next day and for the next 4 days, plenty of foam etc. It is at a temp of 19c. It has all but stopped fermenting, an odd bubble coming to the surface every now and again. But the gravity is 1.018. Gave it a stir but still no more fermentation. Should I wait, bottle it, add more yeast ?

I tasted it and it was quite dry, no sweetness, a bit bitter but it is still quite cloudy. So perhaps it is finished, but the instructions say f.g. should be 1.014.

Any advice?

Wont hurt to wait a bit more, I have never managed to complete in 7days, more like 10 to 14 days at 21c. As you say the odd bubble is still rising so dont rush it.

You have got a few options outlined Here. But i would wait for another week to begin with.

Ive got a stuck fermentation at the moment with my stout at 1020 after 18 days which i am going to make a yeast starter for it to try and get some life back into it

I'd give it a good old stir to bring more yeast back into suspension and also try and get the temp up a couple of degrees. At 1018 its not finished.

leave it for 14 days then have a look. I've always found the wherry to be slow fermenter. Every wherry I've done has ended up at 1010 if left alone at about 20 degrees for 14 days.

Back