Would you still vote for Brexit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you voted Yes to Brexit would you still do so?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheyne_brewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Given the current state of the Brexit trade negotiations and the shambolic road up to this point, if you voted Yes would you still vote the same way?

Personally my crystal ball seems to have been pretty accurate. After David Cameron’s big gamble - which turned out to be a pair of 3s against the 4 aces of the Brexiteers - to the dawning realisation that our trading arrangements are basically dead in the water was pretty clear from the outset.

Should there have been a ratifying vote to hit the kill switch once the roadmap became clear? Yes, in my opinion as it is our jobs the politicians are gambling with.

Paul.

We don't know what's going to happen yet. The only certain thing is that we left the eu - fully, absolutely, completely - on Jan 31st. 2020. We are ex-members.

We don't know what's going to happen yet. The only certain thing is that we left the eu - fully, absolutely, completely - on Jan 31st. 2020. We are ex-members.
I think we can accurately predict 80%-ish of what's going to happen as some of it is happening already. Even with a trade deal (which I still think is going to happen, but I have a history of wild optimism) much of the damage has already been done. So it seems disingenuous to me to suggest that we don't know what's going to happen until next year or that everything is still up for grabs or that it's all in the lap of the gods. Nope. We've made our bed and now we've got to eat it!

Even with a trade deal (which I still think is going to happen, but I have a history of wild optimism) much of the damage has already been done. So it seems disingenuous to me to suggest that we don't know what's going to happen until next year...
I'd also be surprised if there isn't some sort of trading agreement or at least a fudge.

As for "next year", it will take longer than that!

I'm interested by "I think we can accurately predict 80%-ish of what's going to happen as some of it is happening already". What is "happening already"? Just interested, there's lots of hysteria in the meedia as usual, all putting their own twist on things, but that's all I'm aware of.

The media preached for three and a half years that the UK had changed its mind and wanted to remain in the EU. Then the 2019 election proved the polar opposite.

I honestly thought there would be an exodus to the LibDems after their manifesto pledged to scrap brexit but look what happened.

To answer the question posed.....a big fat YES. Nothing has happened since the Brexit referendum vote to persuade me that the EU is a moral/ethical bloc I would want to be part of.
As for the future? No-one “knows”. Look at this time last year. General election, Boris won, his tail was up and off to get Brexit sorted, then......covid bolloxed the whole year....worldwide.....not just UK/EU.

Why not set a poll, so we can see some answers from people who wouldn't be otherwise posting their opinion ?

I'm not a British citizen, so I don't get to answer the original question.

I doubt we will ever know for sure how our national position has changed since 2016. What I do know is that it's done and dusted. However we all voted, we are out.

The relentless bombardment of my twitter feed and the media with how terrible it all is, and wishing to return to the past - solves nothing.

If we are to succeed as an independent nation we have got to get on with it.

If there's a choice, buy from UK companies at every opportunity, support UK manufacturing, bank with UK banks, shun companies that outsource jobs to the rest of the world, support UK farmers, buy local.

Or we can just keep whining about how bad it is and say 'told you so' when the country collapses around us.

Not another Brexit argument. I think we all know where this leads to, vitriol and hatred. Divisive nonsense.
Well I hope not, we have to be reasonable in our discourses. I voted no, and would still vote no, however that's all done now and we have to make the best we can of it. My hope is that some form of workable last min. deal can be done.

Not another Brexit argument. I think we all know where this leads to, vitriol and hatred. Divisive nonsense.
No but this isn't 'DID you vote for Brexit?' it's 'would you STILL vote for Brexit?' , see it's totally different and therefore utterly worth discussing. Right? Right? :rolleyes:

The whole of the UK is divided on this and other issues so it's not really surprising it rears its head on here too unfortunately.

I voted to remain in the EU in the referendum and would vote the same again without any hesitation. Nothing I've seen and heard from the Brexit fanatics in and out of government (Johnson and Gove especially) over the last 4 years inspires me with enough confidence not to believe that the so-called Project Fear scenarios will soon be transformed into Project Reality.

No but this isn't 'DID you vote for Brexit?' it's 'would you STILL vote for Brexit?'
Interestingly, only 4 out of 18 posts answer the question (plus one who wasn't entitled to vote). Even the OP doesn't make his position clear.
But it's a hypothetical question based on what we knew 4½ years ago and what we know today. Do we have a better idea of things today? Of course we do. The way the question is framed, only those who voted leave the the first time round are invited to say whether they would vote the same way now. So I can't answer as I voted remain.
There's a second question:
Should there have been a ratifying vote to hit the kill switch once the roadmap became clear?
I'm not sure what that is asking. I think the ratifying vote was the last General Election, where people voted to "get Brexit done".

I voted remain*, but I just want to say, if I did vote to leave I'd be pretty annoyed right now. You might have wanted to leave, you may have even championed No Deal but I very much doubt anyone wanted it to still be up in the air two weeks out. I can't think anyone would have preferred this uncertainty and it's inevitable economic knock than to temporarily remain in the EU with the certainty that brings.

*EDIT - So I can't answer the original question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back