Would you still vote for Brexit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you voted Yes to Brexit would you still do so?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and just to add something political to the discussion, here's a cartoon I saw earlier. I don't get it.
DTdI7OF.jpg

Personally, I am sick TO THE BACK TEETH with Brexshit.
I sacked off “Facetube” because of all the bile. I missed the brewing fora and one for the breed of our dog. But that was it. I moved on. Came here for the beery banter.

I have an aversion for the St George Flag and Tommy Robinson types. BJ and most of his party, certainly his cabinet, are morally bankrupt. A totally integrity-free zone. A sodding Tsunami of demonstrable lies, incompetence and utter self-interest.

In another’s words: “Brexit gives us a wonderful glimpse into the fragility of democracy, the duplicity of the certain media interests, the ineptitude of leaders and the gullibility of a big chunk of the population. Boris Johnson is just another useless tool of a human being.”

This “them and us” is testicular nonsense. Total ********. Why so much frothing at the mouth and scratching an itch that was never really there. Some advisory referendum this turned out to be with roughly 67% voting to remain, not voting or deemed ineligible to vote. The will of the people indeed. My old Dad was born, and died, a long time ago. He spent 18 years on active service. Bullet wounds and leech scars galore. Came from a poor family and joined up to alleviate the family burden. Led from the front and was highly decorated. A big believer in a United Europe would you believe. Experience and humility, over bigotry and unquestioning sound bite consumption any day. Yet the British brown shirt brigade claim the poppy for their own.... You think the Cummings thing and contracts for chums is totally normal? Threatening gunboats around our shores, the effing weekly yet mirage millions to our NHS, the pedigree hypocritical weekly clapping of our precious “to be sold to the highest bidder” NHS. The angst and expense my highly educated Dutch wife have had to go through to minimise Brexshit uncertainty. I mean, she has a Ph.D, researched and written in English but still had to be tested in English, ironically by someone whose English was of a lower standard.

No-one has been able to give a credible reason for Brexshit. I loved living abroad and learning another language, eventually dreaming in another language, being truly welcomed into a “foreign” home. Dreaming in a different language and returning home with an open(ed) mind, to other cultures and differences. Makes us better. I am embarrassed by the chest beating little Englanders. Us Anglo-Saxons are of foreign blood. We just need to chill a little more and be a little less chippy. It’s a big world out there. Go make some friends....

I don't know anything about politics so can someone tell me this (genuine question btw):
How will Brexit affect my ability to travel to Belgium for a long weekend of heavy drinking (assuming the Covid thing goes away eventually)? I'm from NI which might make a difference.
I really don't know the answer to the question. What I do know is that you have the option of dual nationality. Regardless of your beliefs ( which I don't really care or want to know) you are entitled to apply for an Irish passport. This should make travel easier if any restrictions are applied to UK citizens.

:) What’s wrong with a bit of Stilton Lesinge?
And my milkman comes 3x per week, and delivers dairy products made locally. Can’t help you with the visa or education though, sorry.
[/QUOTE For one it's about choice, not rhetoric. I live in a rural/ coastal region. Most produce here is exported, to the EU. I don't want my grand kids to live in a narrow minded society that thinks it knows best, that limits their choice, Britain historically has thrived by taking produce and culture from around the world. So why is it suddenly such a good idea to think now we, can survive and thrive alone ?

Totally of topic but where in Belgium do you recommend to visit. Just so I can add to my list of things to do once I get my life back when my children grow up.
I haven't seen a lot of the country to be honest but I've spent several long weekends in Brussels and one in Bruges, and both are great places. I know Brussels probably isn't too high up the list of must-see European cities but I think it's a brilliant city. If you're going for the beer (which of course I was) then there's not much you can't get in Brussels, and just the fact that the Cantillon brewery is there makes it worth the trip.

I was with you until the last sentence! aheadbutt

I’m not with you, do you mean there couldn’t possibly be a poor outcome or do you mean you will be happy regardless of the impact, good or bad, on the economy, people’s livelihoods, and international relationships?

The former would be naive, the latter reckless. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood?

My last sentence was merely a statement that my fear is that there will in the end be no winners.

Head-banging?

I haven't seen a lot of the country to be honest but I've spent several long weekends in Brussels and one in Bruges, and both are great places. I know Brussels probably isn't too high up the list of must-see European cities but I think it's a brilliant city. If you're going for the beer (which of course I was) then there's not much you can't get in Brussels, and just the fact that the Cantillon brewery is there makes it worth the trip.
I would second Brussels the urban core is fairly small,so you can get to plenty of places on foot or occasionaly on the subway (and with so much good beer you do not want to be reliant on driving).

I’ve being a few times and its just a nice place to spend a few days, also while beer may be the primary reason the chocolate also helps. Hopefully some time next year we will once again be able to just get on the Euro Star and vist.

Last edited:
Totally of topic but where in Belgium to visit. Just so I can add to my list of things to do once I get my life back when my children grow up.
I've been many times to the places Steve mentions but I also liked Ostend especially at halloween as they really do go to town celebrating it there. Brugge is my favourite though and plenty of bottle shops to get something different and culture also in the main square some lovely restaurants and you can sit outside even when its cold as most have heaters or fires to warm your cockles

If there's a choice, buy from UK companies at every opportunity, support UK manufacturing, bank with UK banks, shun companies that outsource jobs to the rest of the world, support UK farmers, buy local.
Most UK firms depend on EU parts, components and technology, there is no such thing as an "English bank" only multi nationals with huge EU offices that has the UK as a sub set. why should i support a English farmer that's selling produce to the EU and afield. buy locally sold Chinese parts and items sold via amazon the firm that pays no UK taxes and has a terrible reputation for staff welfare and favours employing EU staff??????????

Unfortunately I’m left fearing that it will lead to a poor outcome and the leavers will say they voted for something different - if only they had
Sorry @Hazelwood Brewery but I find these kind of prognostications by “remain voters” frustrating. If we’ve learnt one thing this year it should be that we don’t know what the future holds, good or bad. Our current economic woes are nothing to do with Brexit (not that you’re claiming they are). Problems at the docks are nothing to do with Brexit (but some claim it is). Change for some is a threat, for others an opportunity.
And as for wishing “leave voters” had voted differently.....sounds like you haven’t accepted the outcome of the referendum asad.

In another’s words: “Brexit gives us a wonderful glimpse into the fragility of democracy, the duplicity of the certain media interests, the ineptitude of leaders and the gullibility of a big chunk of the population. Boris Johnson is just another useless tool of a human being.”

@Furry Shark Brewery
The last Brexit thread was removed because of comments like this which lead to a massive argument people made their choice based on their views on how the country is run and what they were told at the time to call them gullible because you don't agree with the way they voted is wrong and the next person that posts the same or something similar will have their post and permission to post in the thread removed, we are not going down that road again.

Last edited:
Sorry @Hazelwood Brewery but I find these kind of prognostications by “remain voters” frustrating. If we’ve learnt one thing this year it should be that we don’t know what the future holds, good or bad. Our current economic woes are nothing to do with Brexit (not that you’re claiming they are). Problems at the docks are nothing to do with Brexit (but some claim it is). Change for some is a threat, for others an opportunity.
And as for wishing “leave voters” had voted differently.....sounds like you haven’t accepted the outcome of the referendum asad.

On the contrary I accepted the outcome a long time ago. One of the things leavers could have voted for was a negotiated agreement - if it had existed. Four years later and it still isn’t agreed which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I’m not clear why it felt it necessary to tell me what other people think. What they think isn’t my issue or indeed my point.

On the contrary I accepted the outcome a long time ago. One of the things leavers could have voted for was a negotiated agreement - if it had existed. Four years later and it still isn’t agreed which doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I’m not clear why it felt it necessary to tell me what other people think. What they think isn’t my issue or indeed my point.
Patience. The EU usually go to the wire on negotiations. Pragmatic

Patience. The EU usually go to the wire on negotiations. Pragmatic

RIght now in the Independent. Entirely predictable. Came as no surprise at all. Who is all this sabre rattling for?
Brexit talks will continue amid new hopes of progress, UK and EU announce

What I don't get is all this about fishing rights. I presume the UK of is trying to protect the Economic Exclusion zone, in red, below, but to what end? I understand the UK exports 75% its catch to the EU- mainly because we don't eat those species in the UK. All the EU fisherman have to do is blocade the ports, no UK fish gets into the EU and the fishermen go out of business.
1607864192330.png

I also understand that over 50% of British fishing quotas are foreign owned so how are we protecting the interests of British fishermen?
https://www.bbc.com/news/52420116If anyone can throw any light on this, I'd be very grateful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back