WOW certainly went down well at my local Wine Circle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samurailord

Reaction score
Back in June I was asked to make a presentation at my local Wine Circle in Saddleworth to try and encourage more members to start brewing their own, or to bring those who used to brew back to the hobby.

I chose to demonstrate how to make a Wurzel, and brought along enough ingredients for each table to make one of their own. I used different flavour juices for each brew so they could see how easy it was, and how nice it turned out.

The results were brought to our annual BBQ at the end of July - some of the long-standing brewers were amazed that the wines were drinkable after only 5 weeks.

Some were a bit 'chemically tasting' - probably not fully de-gassed, but others were absolutely brilliant! I also brought along a Cheeky Vimto as my own contribution was one of the 'not quite ready' category.

At one point you couldn't get near the tasting table - the members were 5 deep trying to get refills, etc!

The juice mixes used were:

Red grape + Bluberry - the most popular on the night
Red grape + Pomegranite - A lovely deep flavour
White grape + Pomegranite - although we expected a red or rose, this was surprisingly white
White grape + Orange
White grape + Apple
White grape + Apple + Mango
Red Grape + Forest Fruits

The whites all came out brilliantly, but a couple of the reds needed a few more weeks to mature slightly.

The star of the show, however, was the Cheeky Vimto! I had people coming to me all night asking how it was made.

Overall the experiment was a great success - we have now got 2 people new to brewing giving it a go, and a couple who used to brew have come back again - all thanks to Wurzel and this forum!

Andy

congrats mate! i think i'm just about ready to have a go at either a WOW or one of the other popular recipes... i've got neighbours, family and friends saving up all their empty bottles 1st cos i've ran out :lol:

you must be some kind of pro to have the confidence to give a presentation, i'm well impressed by that :thumb:

Thanks Diesel, Muddy and Fally

I was very relieved that it went down so well - and no, Fally, I'm not a pro - very much an amateur like the majority of us on here.

Just happy to spread the word.......

Andy

Back