wyeast 'smack' activation pack - starter necessary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
bought a pack of the wyeast scottish ale and due to use it tomorrow but I've not made a starter up, it does advise you to on the back and leave the starter for around 24-48 hours. is it necessary or will i just add as normal?

cheers
mark.

I ALWAYS make a starter with liquid yeast. I suppose if your OG is around .040 you could get by with not making one but it's a good practice to do so. Anything above that and I'd definitely make a starter.

Because the OG is a function of the recommended cell count. The higher the OG, the more yeast cells required to do the job. If you have a low enough OG, the cell count in the smack pack is sufficient. I've always read that 1.040 is the highest OG you'd really want to go before making a starter. I know plenty of people who just pitch a smack pack regardless of OG. And they end up with beer. I just try to pitch the recommended amount every time I brew because that's my comfort level.

Back