X Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
This is what i mashed tonight, it's number 4 in the durden park book which i'm loving :party:

12.2 kg Maris Otter
it calls for about 255g of fuggles but i'll be adding more to account for a 60 min boil

Here's some pics, it was my first time to run my HERMS (big thanks to all who helped me build it, especially Vossy :thumb: )

Inside the tun
firsthermsbrew014.jpg

The Mash
firsthermsbrew015.jpg

Heating the HLT
firsthermsbrew013.jpg

Shrouds on the elements courtesy of Bru4u, top man :thumb:
firsthermsbrew008.jpg

The whole set up
firsthermsbrew007.jpg

Weighed grain
firsthermsbrew005.jpg

Yum yum
firsthermsbrew001.jpg

Checking the technology
With more technology, close enough :cool:
firsthermsbrew018.jpg

I boiled this last night and for for the first time my efficiency was **** :cry: I was aiming for 1055 and only got 1046 :wha: i can't understand why as everything seemed to go without a hitch and i double checked the temperature of the mash with my trusty hana digital thermometer. Any way here's a few more pics

Hops added
firsthermsbrew020.jpg

The boil
firsthermsbrew024.jpg

I can still smell fuggles in the house :lol:
firsthermsbrew026.jpg

For the second time the cpc disconnect got blocked, still let the wort pass through so all was not lost
firsthermsbrew032.jpg

Just had the first pint of this baby and i'm impressed, it got no aroma to speak of but the hops taste so fresh (not green) and there is a lovely fruity after taste :cool: i'm gonna leave it alone for another while cause i have a feeling there's more to come from this one :D

Nice one AT. I'm very interested as to what's in the Pride glass as that looks damn tasty. Looking to upscale my copper manifold and have to ask why you've used compression? Don't trust regular copper fittings that aren't soldered at that size of manifold? Compression fittings therefore allowing rigidity and the ability to disassemble and clean?

Latest posts

Back