Yeast Slants Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddylad

Reaction score
Hi All
I have recently made my first tentative steps into creating yeast slants, however I’m fairly sure I am doing something wrong. Currently I only have two yeast slants on the go and when I accessed one this week, the test tube gave off a hiss when I unscrewed the cap. Shortly after opening the test tube the agar solution in the yeast slant began to break apart in the test tube and force itself out of the top. Does anyone know why this may have happened?

After inoculating the slant and leaving it to incubate for several days, I have firmly sealed the lid and also taped up the lid to ensure that it is completely sealed, before storing it in the fridge. It was roughly 6 weeks between sealing it and opening it. Is this due to pressure building up in the test tube as I was under the impression that once the slant was fully inoculated that it should be left sealed and undisturbed until its needed?

Thanks

Neil

hi neal your a few steps further down this road than me im still reading and collecting bits...

agar solution in the yeast slant began to break apart in the test tube and force itself out of the top.

Perhaps it had too long in the warm and was sealed in error ?? forcing co2 into the agar when cool and under pressure?????- guess!!

any pics of the offending slant??

That does make sense, I am defo doing something wrong though.

I would like to load a photo, but I have no idea how to load a photo on this forum :(

Neil

Make an account at www.photobucket.com and upload your pictures. Then copy and paste the "

20140110_190133_zps1e191d14.jpg

there u go.. ... err y0ur link in img tags..

think your sharing the link to your photobucket page?
i use flickr so slightly different

find the share your pic feature in photobucket for the bbcode link and use that..

perhaps u have 2 much gel in the slant, and it looks like a layer of something else at the bottom which isnt slanted??

Thanks for the advice, will know better next time. The slant was fine until I opened it, then it broke apart as shown in the photo. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

yes i see after blowing up the pic a bit, what i took for line in the bottom is a huge break :) seems like something in the jelly expanded when you opened the top? perhaps they were screwed up tight a bit early? looks like the yeast survived, just shoved up a bit in the tube, would taking a smear onto a plate help u isolate a clean colony still if your worried abut contamination?

Latest posts

Back