Is saison yeast slow acting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phildo79

Reaction score
Hi

I decided to make a dry hopped cider using shop bought apple juice. Put 20L in the FV last Thursday and added MJ saison yeast. The blow-off tube showed no sign of activity for a few days so I had a look inside. There was definite signs of fermentation so I seated the lid on the FV (corny keg) and left it another couple of days.

After about 5 days, I added the dry hops. I think it was 7 days after brew day that I noticed bubbles coming out of the blow-off tube. And it is still bubbling today. So is this normal for saison yeast or could it be hop creep? At this point I am reluctant to open the FV to check the gravity. Or do ciders not have the same aversion to oxygen that beers have? Considering the activity, I am tempted to open and quickly throw an iSpindel in.

Thoughts?

Hi

I decided to make a dry hopped cider using shop bought apple juice. Put 20L in the FV last Thursday and added MJ saison yeast. The blow-off tube showed no sign of activity for a few days so I had a look inside. There was definite signs of fermentation so I seated the lid on the FV (corny keg) and left it another couple of days.

After about 5 days, I added the dry hops. I think it was 7 days after brew day that I noticed bubbles coming out of the blow-off tube. And it is still bubbling today. So is this normal for saison yeast or could it be hop creep? At this point I am reluctant to open the FV to check the gravity. Or do ciders not have the same aversion to oxygen that beers have? Considering the activity, I am tempted to open and quickly throw an iSpindel in.

Thoughts?

Most Saison yeasts have the STA1 gene allowing them to slowly eat dextrins that other yeasts can't. As far as I know, though, there aren't any natural dextrins in cider. Therefore my guess would be hop creep.

Just seems odd that the only sign of life from the blow-off tube came after the addition of dry hops. I didn't think hop creep produced such a vigorous reaction. Of course, there is the possibility of infection 🤦

I find the saison yeast I've used are quite vicious and usually rip right into it.
Definitely. I've used Belle Saison and it's like rocket fuel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221224-170334.png
    Screenshot_20221224-170334.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
Something strange happened when I added the iSpindel. I set the reports to every 15 seconds and it steadily dropped from about 1.040 to 1.013. When it went below 1.000, that was when I removed the iSpindel and placed it in a jug of water to test it's accuracy. Inside the FV also looks very clean. Hardly any Krausen.

Screenshot_20221224-171001.pngScreenshot_20221224-170929.pngScreenshot_20221224-170755.pngScreenshot_20221224-170820.pngScreenshot_20221224-170807.pngScreenshot_20221224-170916.pngScreenshot_20221224-170900.pngScreenshot_20221224-170848.pngScreenshot_20221224-170833.png

Did you have your lid on tight? I've found that yeast always sticks to the lid of the ispindel and gives a lower than actual hydrometer measured reading nearing the end of fermentation. I'm thinking it might be done and everything has just sunk to the bottom.
Do you have a graph for the whole thing?

Did you have your lid on tight? I've found that yeast always sticks to the lid of the ispindel and gives a lower than actual hydrometer measured reading nearing the end of fermentation. I'm thinking it might be done and everything has just sunk to the bottom.
Do you have a graph for the whole thing?
Pretty sure it was on tight but I only dropped it in tonight. Wanted to minimize the oxygen contact. I have never set it for 15 second intervals before. Curious how long it takes to settle.

Pretty sure it was on tight but I only dropped it in tonight. Wanted to minimize the oxygen contact. I have never set it for 15 second intervals before. Curious how long it takes to settle.
When testing I've had a 30s interval and it's been very stable (in water). No idea what could make yours wander all over the place

mj's m29 saison works well - its not sluggish I re-hydrate it and it will give you a 12% beer in 21 litres of wort. It does need higher temps than a standard yeast though. 18c is not ideal for it, it prefers 26c +

Last edited:
not much protein in apple juice and so doesn't make much krausen nor a lasting head on your drink, much like wine making. I'd make sure I added a double dose of yeast nutrient to apple juice if fermenting it. But kept warm enough 20C plus it will ferment fast. Next cider I'm going to try opshaug kveik. Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Back