Yeast slants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mix the yeast with glycerin you can freeze the slants as the glycerin protects the yeast cell wall from being punctured!

Reason I ask, is I had a mate who works at a lab make me up a heap of them, but my fridge got unplugged and they thawed and refroze :cry:

Now apparantly this is a big no no and affects the viability of the yeast big time and I was just wondering if anyone has had a similair experiance?

For long term storage(10's of years), you make a yeast slant then coat the slant in a sterile mineral oil and can freeze down to -50C with no effect on viability.

As reviled said thawing and refreezing can have a serious detrimental effect on viability . . . but I bet you could reculture new slants from what is left on the old slant . . . .

FWIW I've not had much success with freezing yeast, but have recovered yeast from 2 year old slants stored in the fridge at 4C with no problems at all.

Latest posts

Back