Yeast Starter - How much DME and Water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian_68

Reaction score
Ok, my first real yeast starter using 1 pack of Wyeast 1098 to make James Morton's (Brew) Oldy Worldy English IPA. I've plugged the numbers into Mr Malty - having gone for the recipe stated max OG of 1.066. Pack Mfg date is 15/10/18. It says 239 billion cells needed; 1 pack in a 2.7 litre starter. But other calcs say 323 billion cells needed? (confused.com)

My question is; how much DME do i use? Do i use enough for an OG of 1.066, the target brew OG, or is there a standard OG to use for starters.

Cheers

Seconded for the Mr Malty site. That said, that's a pretty big starter for an English IPA even with the Mr Malty calculation, though it definitely won't hurt to overpitch a bit.

But, what should the starter OG be? Amount of DME needed etc? 10:1 ?

Cheers

Last edited:
You don't quote your brew length (volume into fermenter) or flask size.

Assuming 23l and a stir plate then you need 1.5l water and 150g DME.

Use this calculator. It's never let me down in countless brews and it agrees with the calculator in Beersmith 3.

Well that seemed to work; it took off like a rocket to the point i had to rig a blow-off.
Is Wyeast 1098 a fast fermenter?
Cheers
I haven't used 1098 but I have used the White Labs equivalent (WLP007) several times. It's very fast, reliable, finishes dry and flocculates hard. It was always done for me in 10 days. Great yeast.

I haven't used 1098 but I have used the White Labs equivalent (WLP007) several times. It's very fast, reliable, finishes dry and flocculates hard. It was always done for me in 10 days. Great yeast.
I’m getting that impression. I leave mine on the yeast a minimum of 21 days; plenty time for clean up. Had issues in past with diacetyl ya see.

Back