Yeast swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soton

some random guy
Reaction score
I have just bought a WYeast Activator 1450 - Dennys Favourite 50 ready for my next brew which will be an American two hearted IPA clone, I had to look around a few shops to find that particular yeast as my usual supplier dose not stock it, so it got me thinking if there is any interest in harvesting yeasts and swapping them with members on here, I know there is a risk of infection if it is not done properly but I think for the right strain of yeast I would be happy to take the chance, I have a vacuum sealer so I could make a pouch, probably a double bag pouch to be safe and the could post it at little cost, I would also think that a small sterilised pop bottle in a bubble wrap envelope would work well.
If anyone is interested or could be a bit more enlightening just post your thoughts here

Sounds like a good idea, I have no need to swap anything at the minute as I've got my next few brews planned and only need a single yeast but I'd be happy to send out the yeast I'm using once I'm happy with my harvesting technique.

Oh, and if this does take off can we call it culture club?

I'd be up for that. Might need some rules though so people aren't sending bad yeast, like max no. of generations or something.

I would think that if anyone passing on yeasts makes it clear how many uses away from a 1st generation and what type of original packaging ie smack pack, slants ect the yeast was then it would be up to the person wanting the yeast to say if they are interested
Probably the easiest way would be for people to say what they are offering and what they are looking for and then wait and see if anyone can help
If I have a yeast that I have harvested and someone wanted to use that type and the whole package and postage was no more then a couple of pounds I would happy to send it on once in a while in the hope someone would do the same for me 👍

I like this idea.

I have started taking yeast from my brews then growing the yeast in petri dishes. This lets you isolate good yeast from bad, plus the yeast stores longer. You then harvest it and build it up to starter size.

There is a guy on ebay (also from Southampton) that sells the pre prepared petri dishes.

If a few of us started doing this, then we could then build up a yeast bank that we could post to each other.

Paul

I've started saving yeasts, may have to get a few test tubes though but these can be re-used. In the long run it could be economical.

I just saw a post about harvesting yeast and I think I will buy the book Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation (Brewing Elements) I have found it for �£10. I think it might be a good investment in the long run
If I can do my yeast harvesting and storage done a bit more professionally it will be a benefit if anyone wants yeast from me
The yeast I just bought off line cost me almost �£9 with postage ect so �£10 for a book about it should turn out to be a bargain
If we can pass on freshly harvested yeast to members of this forum it should be benefit to anyone who serious about beer making
Maybe it might work out better if any package and postage costs can be covered by a Paypal payment to make people more inclined to help each other and not be out of pocket, It should be a not for profit thing, just done to help out like minded Brewers and save us all a few quid

I'd be up for this. I thought about this myself but for some reason didn't follow through with a post.

I've got the Duvel strain that I harvested from bottles and also yeast from Wibbler brewery which is apparently the Whitbread 2 yeast strain now sold as Essex Ale by white labs.

I've got the Youngs Brewery yeast that I also bottle harvested but it's a bit old now so I'm not confident in its health. I'd need to step it up a few times again to be happy.

I'm really looking for the Pacman yeast strain used by Rogue brewery. I want a clean, dry neutral American yeast that flocculates and sediments well (unlike chico/US-05).

Why not swap the bottled beer and people can harvest the yeast like that. Only costs �£2.88 to send and you get a beer and yeast

This is a really good way of transporting yeast, and we get to try each other's beer.

I think its a great idea - & it had crossed my mind when my lovely new bottle posting boxes arrived as I have 4 x 500ml starter bottles of Vermont Ale yeast in the fridge, these have a lot more yeast in them than the bottled beer, but like has been said I think I'd rather swap a beer and culture the yeast up.
:cheers:

Why not swap the bottled beer and people can harvest the yeast like that. Only costs ��£2.88 to send and you get a beer and yeast

This is a great idea. I've cultured yeast up from my own bottles before and it works really well as theres so much more yeast in a HB bottle compared to a commercial bottle of bottle condition beer. I usually do 4x step ups.

OK I'm in! I have some WLP001 (second pitch) in a Brown Porter - the Caladonian Porter from GW's book. I only have a 330ml to swap though and it's still pretty green as I bottled it last Thursday. I'd like to swap for Vermont ale

If there is interest in yeast swap however it's done, via vials, bottles of beer or other packs ect it might a good idea to start its own sticky
All that is then needed is to do as MyQul just did and just say what you have and what you would like and which way your happy with receiving it, the beer swap idea is a bonus like two for one 😊 But I'm sure if you can get the right yeast for a brew then some harvested yeast sent in a vial or other would work as well 👍

If there is interest in yeast swap however it's done, via vials, bottles of beer or other packs ect it might a good idea to start its own sticky
All that is then needed is to do as MyQul just did and just say what you have and what you would like and which way your happy with receiving it, the beer swap idea is a bonus like two for one ������ But I'm sure if you can get the right yeast for a brew then some harvested yeast sent in a vial or other would work as well ������

Oops. Didn't realized we haven't officially started yet :lol:

Here's the yeasts I have/will have shortly in bottles of beer. Maybe not the most interesting of collections but if anyone is interested, either in the yeast or the beer it's underneath, do let me know.

Saflager s-23 used once in a rauchpils.
Saflager w-34/70 used once in a hoppy pilsner
S04 used two or three times in an oatmeal stout
MJ47 used once in a Belgian blonde tripel (9.6%)
NBS saison yeast used once in a jester saison
T58 used once in a golden ale. Also have an unopened pack of this which I'm up for swapping.
Safbrew WB06 used once in an American wheat
Mystery MJs yeast - thought it was a lager yeast but tastes more like a wheat. Used twice, now it's in a lager (or wit, depending what this yeast actually is).
Unopened MJ cider yeast.
I do a have a Belgian stout with 1st gen S-33, but no one seems to like S33. Anyway, it's there for the swapping.

All bottles are 330ml.

Today I just bought MJs British Ale Yeast and West Coast yeast, and a pack of Windsor, plus I have a pack of US-05 in a recipe pack, so anything not mentioned here I'll be open to. Would like a Belgian Trappist type of strain if there's one going.

Oops. Didn't realized we haven't officially started yet :lol:

Happy to start off and offer a Vermont swap MyQul, I'd love to try the porter & I've been looking for a replacement for MJ West Coast and been undecided between the WLP001 & the san diego super yeast. Do you find the WLP001 sticks the bottom of bottles OK ? (my main complaint with the MJ).
Either way happy to swap, but I know you're not a fan of hoppy beers. I can only offer either;

Strong & hoppy
or
Very strong & very hoppy
or
one of my starter bottles

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back