YeastFace Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they any closer to sorting it out for you?
You wouldn't believe the saga! After 1 week they said my existing hop plate was fine, it must be something else. After 3 weeks they said I needed a new hop plate. After 4 weeks I am still waiting..... although they did say last Tuesday that they had ordered me one. Wonder when it will arrive?

20220402_104748.jpg

Saaz, Saaz, Sweet Orange peel, Amarillo

20220402_142709.jpg

Chilling

20220402_105002.jpg

Lallemand Farmhouse vitality starter

20220402_144341.jpg

Tucked away at 23° from CFC, ferm fridge set to 20° initially

20220402_144910.jpg

Not the clearest, but good colour. Ignore the **** in the background, was extending the patio whilst brewing.

Last edited:
Overall a really good brewday and great first impressions of the G40. Being able to monitor mash temps from inside my house whilst playing with my daughter was great. Still need to finish cleaning up as started to rain, but overall brewday was much shorter even with a step mash.

Today's brew is another lowish alcohol garden beer. Hopefully this will be quite floral and fruity but not overpowering on the hop front.

Not quite a British Blonde, not quite a Belgian Blonde, not quite a Kölsch, so have called it a European Blonde. This is for drinking not competing so it doesn't really matter.

Grist is:
Europils (52%)
Vienna (25%)
Caragold (10%)
Acidulated (8%)
Munich (5% - a late addition as ordered too little Carapils when working out acid malt addition)

Step mash because I can.

Hops are:
14g Brewers Gold (GER) - 60 mins
25g Archer (GBR) - 20 mins
25g Celeia (SVN) - 10 mins
25g Archer (GBR) - Whirlpool

Imperial Dieter Yeast.

OG - 1.040
FG - 1.008
Alc. - 4.2%
IBU - 20
EBC - 8 7

Photos to follow once I get going.

Not been the best brewday, kept losing connection on Grainfather app so not sure if step temps. Am boiling in manual mode now to avoid any issues

Not sure if an issue with my internet or the Grainfather itself but never had this issue before.

Somehow hit the numbers.

Shouldn't have to but think I will line the malt pipe with a grain bag next time as still had a lot of flour in the boiler after removing the malt pipe. Happened last time but blamed that on stirring throughout the mash.

No notion what was wrong with the controller. Quite ****** off with it tbh

Yesterday was my 5th brewday in the G40.

A Trappist Singel/Enkel/Patersbier. Something light and refreshing for the summer.

Recipe was:

OG - 1.039
FG - 1.007
ABV - 4.2%
IBU - 24
EBC - 9.9

79% Warminster Utopian Czech-style Lager Malt
13% Simpsons Imperial Malt
8% Weyermann Acid Malt.

14.5 IBU Fuggles @ 60
7.5 IBU Fuggles @ 20
1.9 IBU East Kent Goldings @ Hopstand (10 mins @ 80°c, or 1.4g/l)

Volume - 21l into fermenter.

Tap water treated with Calcium Chloride and Gypsum to get a Sulfate to Chloride ratio of 1.4 and bump up the Calcium a bit.

Mash PH of 5.35.

Belgian step mash.

WLP575 (Belgian Style Ale Blend) - Start at 20°c and rise to 23°c.

I've used the Warminster & Utopian Malt a few times and prefer it over Crisp Europils (except the price difference) which was my previous go-to. I also really like Simpsons Imperial and am using that in a lot of recipes at the moment. I try to use British ingredients where possible (to help cut down on my carbon footprint) but prefer acid malt to acid additions. If anyone knows of a British maltster who does Acid malt please let me know.

After clearing out what was supposed to be my brewshed (it was due to rain about half way through the brewday) but has been requisitioned by garden furniture and tools, I started about 10am.

Due to the previous connection issues I moved the router into the hallway to be closer to the G40 and had no issues with dropping connections.

20220627_102403.jpg

Start of mash

I've had issues with a fair bit of grain and flour making its way out of the malt pipe and into the boiler, so used my trusty BIAB bag to combat this.

-nezzt4.jpg

Fuggles, Fuggles, Goldings

The yeast was relatively fresh, but White Labs recommended a small starter to ensure sufficient cells.

I've not used before, but it is a blend of two Trappist strains and one Belgian ale strain so am hoping it works well in this. I will be using some slurry from this in a Belgian Dark Strong Ale I'll be brewing in a few weeks' time.

20220627_135546.jpg

Yeasty

The brewday was very smooth and I made no clangers (I should brew without a hangover more often. I was pretty much done and cleaned up by 3pm.

The BIAB bag did it's job and resulted in lovely, clear wort with no loss of efficiency. I ended up with 22l @ 1.038 in the fermenter. I did add a litre of water as a small sparge which wasn't in the recipe so that accounts for that.

Brewed an Irish Red today. Do like a Smithwicks and wanted something easy drinking for over the Christmas/New Year.

A really good brewday, possibly my quickest finish ever, and hit all my numbers.

Recipe is fairly standard: pale, crystal, and a bit of roast barley for colour. Have also added some Simpsons Red Rye Crystal for colour and a bit of sweet spice.

OG- 1.043, FG - 1.011, ABV - 4.2%

Hops are all Progress to 25 ibu.

Yeast is Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (intend to use the slurry in my next two brews).

Not a full write-up today, but a few action shots.

20221129_095240.jpg

20221129_101720.jpg

20221129_134319.jpg

20221129_140836.jpg

Last edited:
Extra Stout brewed today.

Looking for something like O'Hara's Leann Folláin, which I think is excellent.

I typically design my beers in Beersmith Mobile (as that's what I'm used to) and then transfer over to the Grainfather App prior to brewing. There's always a bit of discrepancy in the liquor volumes, but am going to stick with Grainfather's recommendations as Beersmith (even with the G40 profile) seems to give me more volume and less gravity than intended.

Have added a bit of Simpsons Special 200 in this. It's an experimental "malted barley that is brown in colour and coffee in flavour. Perfect for porters and stouts."

Hopefully will work well with the chocolate and roasted barley and if it does I hope I can get it again in the future. (Crisp did a similar limited smooth coffee malt, but that seems to have sold out).

Was originally going to enter this in the NHC, but won't be ready by then. I won't go into too much detail as may enter into a future comp and didn't take many photos today in any case.

Extra Stout brewed today.

Looking for something like O'Hara's Leann Folláin, which I think is excellent.

I typically design my beers in Beersmith Mobile (as that's what I'm used to) and then transfer over to the Grainfather App prior to brewing. There's always a bit of discrepancy in the liquor volumes, but am going to stick with Grainfather's recommendations as Beersmith (even with the G40 profile) seems to give me more volume and less gravity than intended.

Have added a bit of Simpsons Special 200 in this. It's an experimental "malted barley that is brown in colour and coffee in flavour. Perfect for porters and stouts."

Hopefully will work well with the chocolate and roasted barley and if it does I hope I can get it again in the future. (Crisp did a similar limited smooth coffee malt, but that seems to have sold out).

Was originally going to enter this in the NHC, but won't be ready by then. I won't go into too much detail as may enter into a future comp and didn't take many photos today in any case.

Sadly this was a drain pour.

Tasted nice from the fermenter, but suspected I'd underpitched as attenuation was off (I'd not accounted for loss of viability whilst the slurry had been in the fridge, so even though I'dmade a starter there wasn't sufficient cells).

A week after kegging there was some acetaldehyde which has got much worse in the 2 weeks since. Tasted like appleade and not much else.

Sad but no point hoping it will get any better.

Will rebrew the recipe as is, but with fresh yeast instead of slurry.

Getting over my disaster, my latest brew is 11l batch of Beamish & Crawford's 1851 Running Porter, slightly adapted from a recipe kindly supplied by Edd Mather.

This was a Pale/Brown/Black malt affair (with a bit of DME), but much less-heavily hopped than it's London counterparts.

Pale was a mix of Chevalier and Mild/Vienna.

Hops were Fuggles and EKG. Classic.

Yeast was MJ New World Strong. Irish Ale would not have had enough attenuation.

20230302_082910.jpg

Went with GEB for this one

20230302_091409.jpg

(Almost) Full Volume Mash, was fairly thick for me as this should end up at 7% so had a decent 3.125kg grist.

20230302_114047.jpg
Quick 2l sparge with treated liquor pulled before mashing.

20230302_120630.jpg

Modest additions of Fuggles & EKG at FWH and 30 mins

20230302_134454.jpg

Nice deep brown colour at 1.062

Brewday was straight-forward and uneventful (stepped mash, but a breeze on the G40), all numbers spot on.

Yeast is chugging away happily. Think the level of brown malt will require a decent conditioning period, but hopefully ready to drink come May.

Won't give the full recipe unless anyone particularly wants it and I'll ask Edd for permission.

A week in from Brewday (above post was a few day's late) and it's down to 1.014, so not quite finished (predicted FG 1.010).

Sample is tasting good. Bit of sulphur which I think Nottingham can produce (I think that's what M42 is anyway). Have increased to 20° to hopefully finish up over the next week.

Just in case and as I haven't used Chevallier before those that have are there any attenuation differences? @An Ankoù @Pennine @Donegal john?

A week in from Brewday (above post was a few day's late) and it's down to 1.014, so not quite finished (predicted FG 1.010).

Sample is tasting good. Bit of sulphur which I think Nottingham can produce (I think that's what M42 is anyway). Have increased to 20° to hopefully finish up over the next week.

Just in case and as I haven't used Chevallier before those that have are there any attenuation differences? @An Ankoù @Pennine @Donegal john?
There are flavour differences and Chevallier seems to take the bitterness out of the hops, but I don't recall any attenuation issues.

There are flavour differences and Chevallier seems to take the bitterness out of the hops, but I don't recall any attenuation issues.
Same here, no attenuation issues. Although I am perfectly happy with a 1.014 FG. Actually 1.062 to 1.014 is good.

Back