Yellow Belly beer could be discontinued over trademark dispute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started looking but my brew schedule got held up by other beers and this got pushed way back. I found a thread or two and a recipe, but not sure if they're any good or not. This thread is interesting reading though: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/omnipollo-yellow-belly-clone.581379/

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ryans-yellow-belly-clone

I was planning a Yellow Belly clone attempt but it morphed into an Imperial Brown with peanut butter flavouring added. That Brew Toad link looks to be for a light beer BTW.

There seems to be some dubiety around whether a flavour extract was used in this beer. Buxton are quoted as saying there's no PB in it, Omnipollo seemed to suggest they used a flavouring. I think the general consensus is that they did use a flavour extract. Malt Miller have a clone recipe kit of Yellow Belly:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/you-sexy-thing-peanut-butter-chocolate-milkshake-stout/

As per the advice in the HBT thread, I used the LorAnn Oils extract in my beer but I used a lot less than he's suggesting. It was a 3.6ml bottle and I reckon I used just more than half in a split batch (about 8 litres of beer if I recall). The HBT poster is possibly using a different product. I found this flavouring to come off very artificial tasting for the first two months then it started to round out and became quite nice. If I was doing again in future I think I'd be tempted to try a mix of the flavour extract and PB2 powder in either the boil or secondary.

Just to be absolutely frikkin clear on this subject, Grimsby has NEVER. EVER been, or will be, part of Yorkshire. Ever. Not for a fraction of a second. The very suggestion should be punished by the death sentence, or at least a jolly good flogging. acheers.

Not that I feel strongly about this, it anything. :laugh8::laugh8:

To be serious - Grimsby is in Lincolnshire. Ted Heath created a pretend county called 'Humberside', which hung around for a couple of decades like an unwanted fart, luckily this complete balls was undone, and Grimsby was returned to Lincolnshire, where is once again proudly sits.

Just to reiterate .....

Ah Lincolnshire... Like Yorkshire just not quite as good.

I was planning a Yellow Belly clone attempt but it morphed into an Imperial Brown with peanut butter flavouring added. That Brew Toad link looks to be for a light beer BTW.

There seems to be some dubiety around whether a flavour extract was used in this beer. Buxton are quoted as saying there's no PB in it, Omnipollo seemed to suggest they used a flavouring. I think the general consensus is that they did use a flavour extract. Malt Miller have a clone recipe kit of Yellow Belly:

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/you-sexy-thing-peanut-butter-chocolate-milkshake-stout/

As per the advice in the HBT thread, I used the LorAnn Oils extract in my beer but I used a lot less than he's suggesting. It was a 3.6ml bottle and I reckon I used just more than half in a split batch (about 8 litres of beer if I recall). The HBT poster is possibly using a different product. I found this flavouring to come off very artificial tasting for the first two months then it started to round out and became quite nice. If I was doing again in future I think I'd be tempted to try a mix of the flavour extract and PB2 powder in either the boil or secondary.

Surely, if they used a flavouring, especially one derived from nuts, it would be listed in the ingredients/allergens?

Last edited:
No info can be gleamed from the original beer. However, the YB Sundae version clearly states that peanut aroma is used. The difference between the two is the sundae is barrel aged and has added chocolate. This would make me think peanut aroma is added to the original YB.

Surely, if they used a flavouring, especially one derived from nuts, it would be listed in the ingredients/allergens?

On the Buxton website they only list barley, oats, lactose and wheat as allergens. The blurb about the beer also says no peanut was added but as @phildo79 states you can be almost sure the it does contain a flavour extract.

On the Buxton website they only list barley, oats, lactose and wheat as allergens. The blurb about the beer also says no peanut was added but as @phildo79 states you can be almost sure the it does contain a flavour extract.
Yes, that must be the only possible explanation. Obviously, a peanut butter and biscuit stout can only be brewed with flavour extract or peanuts and biscuits. Not nutty grains such as maris otter, golden naked oats and biscuity malts like, maybe biscuit malt. It doesn't sit right that they claim that peanuts and biscuits weren't used in the recipe, then use the easier option of flavour extracts.

I'm also more than slightly doubtful an excellent brewer like Colin Stronge would take the route of using extracts.

Perhaps when he moved on from Buxton they changed the recipe, as it does appear that later versions were described as being even more peanuty.

Last edited:
Yes, that must be the only possible explanation. Obviously, a peanut butter and biscuit stout can only be brewed with flavour extract or peanuts and biscuits. Not nutty grains such as maris otter, golden naked oats and biscuity malts like, maybe biscuit malt. It doesn't sit right that they claim that peanuts and biscuits weren't used in the recipe, then use the easier option of flavour extracts.

I'm also more than slightly doubtful an excellent brewer like Colin Stronge would take the route of using extracts.

Perhaps when he moved on from Buxton they changed the recipe, as it does appear that later versions were described as being even more peanuty.

As I said in my earlier post, there's a lot of hearsay over whether or not an extract was used. I'll admit I've never read anything concrete but I believe omnipollo have been open about using flavour extracts in some of their beers. IIRC, when malt miller released their clone recipe I think they even claimed that the flavouring they supply with it was the same one used in Yellow Belly.

Also, just playing devil's advocate, although Buxton state there is no peanut or biscuits in the beer, I would speculate that some artificial PB flavourings won't contain peanut etc and therefore it wouldnt have to be declared as an ingredient.

I took what @phildo79 said at face value and it seemed logical that if they used an extract in another addition of the same beer it would have also been used in the original but I appreciate that might not be the case.

I think the hearsay and ambiguity is deliberate from Buxton, as part of the anti-prejudice message of the whole Yellow Belly thing. It could well have extract in. Could easily not have.

Last edited:
Malt Miller do one, its nice but dont use the peanut extract they provide, I found. much better one, but still tastes a little false

Mate, is that the Capella one? Because I order 3 different flavours off eBay. The other 2 taste and smell like I would expect but the peanut butter one is awful. It doesn't smell like peanut butter and certainly doesn't taste like it. It tastes VERY artificial and like chemicals. In a blind taste test, I wouldn't have a clue what it was supposed to be.

I have emailed the peeps that sold me it in the vain hope that they have sent me one from a dud batch.

I managed to try some of the cease and desist final batch last weekend. It was the first time I had tasted it in a long time, the previous occasion being one of the first batches.

It was absolutely delicious but not at all as peanuty as my mind had remembered it. Massively buscuity with background nuttyness and caramel sweetness. It was actually very bitter too at the end too, possibly to counteract the massive amount of biscuit and crystal I'm guessing they use it grist.

On reflection, despite my previous thoughts, I'm now inclined to think that they didn't use a PB flavouring/extract after all. Seriously tasty brew whatever they put in it.

I'll definitely be doing a clone attempt of this beer in the near future... and I won't be using PB extract.

Back