Yellow Belly beer could be discontinued over trademark dispute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not too fussed about the trademark dispute but think this does the opposite of what they wanted to achieve instead of a KKK mask why not simply put the message on the label.

_104552674_beerpic.jpg

A beer brewed with an anti-racism message could be discontinued amid a trademark dispute.

The name and design of Yellow Belly, an 11% stout brewed by Buxton Brewery and Omnipollo from Sweden, was intended to lampoon the Ku Klux Klan.

However, Batemans Brewery said the name was similar to its own beer, which refers to its native Lincolnshire.

The European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) is reviewing the case.

ggggg.jpg

Buxton and Omnipollo first released Yellow Belly - a peanut butter and biscuit-flavoured imperial stout - in 2014 after being brought together in The Rainbow Project, a collaborative event randomly pairing seven British breweries with counterparts from around the world, with each duo assigned one of the colours of the rainbow.

The brewery explained they drew yellow. It said the "prime meaning" of the colour was cowardice so chose to design the bottle in a way that would highlight what it saw as the cowardice of racist elements of the far right.

read in full - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-46390587

I agree that the message is a bit mixed. I honestly wouldn't pick that bottle off the shelf, regardless of the intended message. It just seems wrong, and almost makes light of the KKK.

One is a cask light coloured beer around 4% with citrussy hops, whereas the other is an 11% stout that tastes of peanut butter, and probably comes in a bottle.. since you can't actually see what you are buying. So yes. you'd be forgiven for thinking they are similar. :doh:

I think the point is the names are very similar and they are both beers. Me thinks a lack of due diligence in branding.

Why would anyone try to market a "Pig in a Poke" beer?

They look frankly ludicrous.

Is this a form of "virtue signalling", as the young people would ask?

I've never had it but a friend loves it. I'm gonna look out for a clone recipe.

And surprise, surprise, Bateman's have now been bombarded by abuse from Craft tw*ts on social media. Their side of the story here.

Interesting that the BBC article refers to the case being taken to the EUIPO. That seems like a fairy drastic step rather than just returning Bateman's call. Who to believe? :?:aunsure....

I think a tongue in cheek un pc thread on "offensive" beer names based roughly on an existing name would be interesting...
My contribution...
Goose-Stepper-Island IPA.

I can see where they are coming from since Yellow Hammer is a nickname for the USA state of Alabama. And, unfortunately, KKK was in that state's history. Strange to see it on a forum from the UK.

Malt Miller do one, its nice but dont use the peanut extract they provide, I found. much better one, but still tastes a little false

erh chippy I'm a yellow belly from back when Grimsby was part of North Yorkshire - my sister is from Linconshire she is definately not a yellow belly! Never tried this beer but feel i must just for the sack of tradition so where can one find it for sale near North Yorkshire now a days?
and thsnks for the heads up - taking the **** out of the KK is good by me :laugh8: I'm all for :laugh8:fair play no matter where one is from

erh chippy I'm a yellow belly from back when Grimsby was part of North Yorkshire - my sister is from Linconshire she is definately not a yellow belly! Never tried this beer but feel i must just for the sack of tradition so where can one find it for sale near North Yorkshire now a days?
and thsnks for the heads up - taking the **** out of the KK is good by me :laugh8: I'm all for :laugh8:fair play no matter where one is from

Just to be absolutely frikkin clear on this subject, Grimsby has NEVER. EVER been, or will be, part of Yorkshire. Ever. Not for a fraction of a second. The very suggestion should be punished by the death sentence, or at least a jolly good flogging. acheers.

Not that I feel strongly about this, it anything. :laugh8::laugh8:

To be serious - Grimsby is in Lincolnshire. Ted Heath created a pretend county called 'Humberside', which hung around for a couple of decades like an unwanted fart, luckily this complete balls was undone, and Grimsby was returned to Lincolnshire, where is once again proudly sits.

Just to reiterate .....

totally agree I was caught in the period of the fart and my wife would say that was justice ...

Latest posts

Back