York brewery report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thought I would stick this report in here as it seemed an appropriate place..
just got back from a delightful trip to York to take in all the tourist sights, and even managed to persuade the Mrs to go to the brewery.
The building is in the city walls so only a short walk makes it very accessible.
Upstairs is a very comfy bar with arm chairs so it can make for a very relaxing afternoon, if you're fed up trudging around all the 'sights'.
They seem to make a vast range of beers in small quantities (3 brew vessels) and any bottling is done up the road by Robinsons.
The brew vessels are open till the beer is almost finished fermentation and then transferred to another vessel for settling (covered) before being barreled up.
The had a full range of malts and hops which were in pellet form.
The water was an interesting topic since its tap water with added gypsum and some other bits and bobs.
I only tried 3 beers.....
The Yorkshire Terrier, which was OK'ish but nothing special...
The wheat beer which tasted of nothing really...a huge disappointment
And finally an IPA which really did the biz..excellent.
They used the same yeast for everything, but no idea what it was because they would only give me the Latin name and wouldn't let me take a sample!!
So there we have it. Excellent place to put you're feet up and sup a few beers whilst getting away from the tourists...recommended.
And by the way...the bar at the station has a huge and varied selection of beers to suit all tastes.

I've never done a brewery tour but seriously considering taking my dad to the Wye valley brewery in July. Partly cos I want to see if they will give me some yeast!

Sounds like you had a thoroughly pleasant time.

York is lovely and if I ever go that way again I will certainly take a look for this place. The comfy bar is a nice touch as some I've gone to have been rather industrial. Sounds like a good day.

Funny you should say that about terrier, I've always found York Brewery Beers Solid but uninspiring, haven't tried the IPA though. I think Cropton has the better Micro brewery and as it is attached to a pub doing bar meals so much the better. Perhaps even better is Wold Top. Superb ales either casked or bottled and both styles work well. As to their yeast I suspect something similar to Nottingham, it certainly isn't a Yorkshire strain as it dries the ale out too much, compare York's ales with Sam Smiths

I've never done a brewery tour but seriously considering taking my dad to the Wye valley brewery in July. Partly cos I want to see if they will give me some yeast!

Can recommend the Wye Valley brewery tour, did it last summer. I made a reasonable AG clone of HPA when I got back, based on what I saw. Are they having another open day? Might pop along, just up the road from me.

I didn't think to ask for their yeast but I did buy a bottle of their bottle-conditioned beer and grew the yeast from the dregs.

I'm off on our annual pilgrimage to Hyde's in Manchester on the 28th of this month,our association the friends of high gates has been invited back every year for 16 years now.up until recently it was at the old listed building in moss side but updated their efficiency and moved to a sort of warehouse in Salford about 4 years back and call it the beer studio.their hospitality knows no bounds with entrance to the tap room off the coach around 11am and sup as much as you can until around 4 30 pm with at least 5 ales on the bar and a very fine free buffet,you can't really complain for an all in ticket inclusive of the coach fare for £16 to go to what has become a bunch of fine friends at the brewery. We then finish off the day at some unkown gem of a village that our organiser has researched and found with 2/3 real ale pubs around the Cheshire area.after all that supping on a long day its usually back home by 8pm and then to bed to sleep it all off,all in all its a blue ribboned calendar event for us every year with tickets to get on it like gold dust and I have been fortunate to have been on at least the last ten

I'm off on our annual pilgrimage to Hyde's in Manchester on the 28th of this month,our association the friends of high gates has been invited back every year for 16 years now.up until recently it was at the old listed building in moss side but updated their efficiency and moved to a sort of warehouse in Salford about 4 years back and call it the beer studio.their hospitality knows no bounds with entrance to the tap room off the coach around 11am and sup as much as you can until around 4 30 pm with at least 5 ales on the bar and a very fine free buffet,you can't really complain for an all in ticket inclusive of the coach fare for ��£16 to go to what has become a bunch of fine friends at the brewery. We then finish off the day at some unkown gem of a village that our organiser has researched and found with 2/3 real ale pubs around the Cheshire area.after all that supping on a long day its usually back home by 8pm and then to bed to sleep it all off,all in all its a blue ribboned calendar event for us every year with tickets to get on it like gold dust and I have been fortunate to have been on at least the last ten
Thats the way to do things properly!!

Funny you should say that about terrier, I've always found York Brewery Beers Solid but uninspiring, haven't tried the IPA though. I think Cropton has the better Micro brewery and as it is attached to a pub doing bar meals so much the better. Perhaps even better is Wold Top. Superb ales either casked or bottled and both styles work well. As to their yeast I suspect something similar to Nottingham, it certainly isn't a Yorkshire strain as it dries the ale out too much, compare York's ales with Sam Smiths
You picked the right word...uninspiring. I think the IPA is called Guzzler, which is pretty good. I guess they have to up their game a bit with all the new beers on the market. I would still recommend you go and use the upstairs bar tho!!

Sounds like you had a thoroughly pleasant time.

I was disappointed to find out on my last tour they just used dry notty yeast :-(

That was high house farm brewery.

Last edited:
Believe York brewery yeast was from the Scottish Newcastle brewery???

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back