Youngs 7 day chardonnay

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebell

Reaction score
My first ever kit so thanks to all on here for your advice to get me this far.
Instructions were fairly easy to follow although timings were out. I actually took a month to get it to a reasonably drinkable state, it looks like chardonnay, it doesn’t have much bouquet it tastes fine a little like chardonnay but not outstandingly so. It is pleasant and easy to drink on its own, best well chilled. Strangely it is less good with food, I had it with a poached salmon salad and it lost almost all of its taste. At around £2 per bottle it knocks the spots off of many that retail at £5 even if it does have a few odd quirks.
Will I make it again? Probably not I think I would go for one of the slightly more expensive kits (if you shop around they are only £1 or £2 more to make 6 bottles). It will also depend how good the WOW turns out and I want to try some wines from fruit.

I've made the Youngs Cabernet style and the strawberry - both seem ok (having only tasted a little at bottling time) but i'm leaving them for now to see if they benefit from aging. I've found the 7 day a little optimistic as well - the Cabernet was closer to a month from starting to bottling.

I've made WoW a couple of times. My mum and sis like them so can't be too bad.

Like you, going for more expensive kits (trying a few of the Beaverdale kits shortly), plus a few home-made variations of Easy White and WoW.

Congratulations on your first efforts.

Personally, I would never make up any Young's kit wine, I would never make up any “7 day” kit wine and I would never make up any white kit wine, so if your Young's 7-day Chardonnay has turned out drinkable, things should only get better.

You're never going to get full-bodied reds from supermarket juices, so try the (Beaverdale, CalCon and upwards) kits if that's the sort of thing you want to make, but with a bit of practice and a bit of patience it's quite easy to make white or pink juice wines for 50p a bottle which will also knock spots off anything the supermarkets sell for a fiver.

Fresh fruits can be very rewarding, and the bottle price can go down considerably if you do a bit of scavenging, but the patience aspect really comes into play with country wines.

Latest posts

Back