Youngs Craft American, New World Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok, I've done the Amber Ale and Pale Ale in this series and they were both awesome but I wanted to try new styles so I thought I would have a go at their saison.

Did this in February and, as is the case with saison yeast, I made sure I had the heat pad on full ready for the FV.

Usual MO with these kits - massive bag of LME and some dextrose but there is also some liquid barley extract also. All this added up to an SG of 1056 and an FG of 1006 giving an approximate ABV of 6.8% - nice one saison yeast!!! I managed to keep the FV at a fairly constant 28*C. The saison yeast is happy at 30*C plus apparently.

Bunged 60% of the 100g hops packet in (yeah call me 'chicken'!) on day 10 (Motueka and another I can't remember?) and gravity was same three days in a row by day 14 so all bottled. There was a s**t load of trub, but didn't bother with secondary or cold crashing - some suggest saison is good with a little yeast roused and the barley makes it hazy anyway. Says should be well carbonated so used large measure of table sugar per bottle.

So, given its strength, I've just cracked the first one open tonight hoping this will be a nice summer tipple when well chilled.

As with the other YCA kits this makes superb beer! No twang at all, slightly hazy as expected, well fizzy as recommended. The head is white, fluffy and stays to the bottom of the glass. Yeast is well compacted, so don't have to have it yeasty with a careful pour.

The aroma is amazing - hops to the fore but with a hint of the pepper flavours to come. Tastes amazing too. Agains hops are floral with only a hint of malt, but the pepper hit that the saison yeast impart is strident, almost medicinal! I was shocked initially, but I was warming to it by the end of the glass. I think I will warm to this as I drink more but it might not appeal to everyone.

Give it a go - if you don't end up liking it, you will find somebody who does! This will be ace with BBQ food, particularly spicy chicken, white fish (wrap in foil for the BBQ), rocket salad and maybe other seasoned meats.

Sounds realy good. Interesting it uses Motueka, a favourite hop of mine, but not a traditional saison hop. And Pacific Jade, apparently. Both NZ hops. Hence the name of the beer I guess! Interesting twist.

When you say you primed with a large measure of sugar, how much?

I've got this kit to do, was waiting for some warm weather so its easier to keep at high temps.

I think when the summer kicks in I might try a Saison, my last ever kit was the Youngs AAA and as far as kits go it was really good and the grapefruity hop very very plesant. I like the youngs choices of hop blends.

I seen people use saaz or Goldings hops in saisons are they more traditional?

Totally agree with Hopping Mad, this really is a fantastic pint. I also like mine chilled with a fizz ( I used a nice round tea spoon in each bottle ) and it goes down great despite the 6.8%, I'm just about to bottle my third batch I just can't get enough of the stuff.
At weekend I had a bottle each of the Young's American IPA,APA and Saison, these are now my top 3 brews but the Saison is something special.I just need to make sure I always have some of this in my stash ready to drink, the problem is keeping it there.It doesn't last long :drink:

Just seen Covrich's reply.
Funnily enough I accidentally put Saaz hops in my last Saison instead of the ones provided and thought that I'd ruined it completely but, to me, it tasted very similar to Morretti which is one of my all time favourite pints. Needless to say I was more than happy

Ok, I've done the Amber Ale and Pale Ale in this series and they were both awesome but I wanted to try new styles so I thought I would have a go at their saison.

Did this in February and, as is the case with saison yeast, I made sure I had the heat pad on full ready for the FV.

Usual MO with these kits - massive bag of LME and some dextrose but there is also some liquid barley extract also. All this added up to an SG of 1056 and an FG of 1006 giving an approximate ABV of 6.8% - nice one saison yeast!!! I managed to keep the FV at a fairly constant 28*C. The saison yeast is happy at 30*C plus apparently.

Bunged 60% of the 100g hops packet in (yeah call me 'chicken'!) on day 10 (Motueka and another I can't remember?) and gravity was same three days in a row by day 14 so all bottled. There was a s**t load of trub, but didn't bother with secondary or cold crashing - some suggest saison is good with a little yeast roused and the barley makes it hazy anyway. Says should be well carbonated so used large measure of table sugar per bottle.

So, given its strength, I've just cracked the first one open tonight hoping this will be a nice summer tipple when well chilled.

As with the other YCA kits this makes superb beer! No twang at all, slightly hazy as expected, well fizzy as recommended. The head is white, fluffy and stays to the bottom of the glass. Yeast is well compacted, so don't have to have it yeasty with a careful pour.

The aroma is amazing - hops to the fore but with a hint of the pepper flavours to come. Tastes amazing too. Agains hops are floral with only a hint of malt, but the pepper hit that the saison yeast impart is strident, almost medicinal! I was shocked initially, but I was warming to it by the end of the glass. I think I will warm to this as I drink more but it might not appeal to everyone.

Give it a go - if you don't end up liking it, you will find somebody who does! This will be ace with BBQ food, particularly spicy chicken, white fish (wrap in foil for the BBQ), rocket salad and maybe other seasoned meats.

Hi Hopping

I've done and bottled the Young's AAA. I had my first taste test last weekend- it's been in the bottle four weeks- and I was just wondering how soon does the saison come good, as I was really underwhelmed by the AAA at this stage- worrying as everyone says how amazing it is!!:hat:

Hi Hopping

I've done and bottled the Young's AAA. I had my first taste test last weekend- it's been in the bottle four weeks- and I was just wondering how soon does the saison come good, as I was really underwhelmed by the AAA at this stage- worrying as everyone says how amazing it is!!:hat:

Mine was a bit Hazy early doors the dry hop can do that, but the beer was grapefruity quite early on, around 4 weeks in the bottle it was pretty good.

some malty and strong grapefruity..

what does yours taste like?

Mine was a bit Hazy early doors the dry hop can do that, but the beer was grapefruity quite early on, around 4 weeks in the bottle it was pretty good.

some malty and strong grapefruity..

what does yours taste like?

At the moment, not very much- there was a smell of the hops but not a massive taste and still quite a lot of alcohol present- a bit like my Bulldog Evil dog was but that was understandable as I messed it about a bit and it came out at 10% and more. This one is only about 5.6. More malty than grapefruity at the moment I'd say.

Would you say it was at it's best about 8 weeks or so in? As I was planning on leaving it another 4 weeks before sample 2.

At the moment, not very much- there was a smell of the hops but not a massive taste and still quite a lot of alcohol present- a bit like my Bulldog Evil dog was but that was understandable as I messed it about a bit and it came out at 10% and more. This one is only about 5.6. More malty than grapefruity at the moment I'd say.

Would you say it was at it's best about 8 weeks or so in? As I was planning on leaving it another 4 weeks before sample 2.

From about 5 6 weeks onwards up to about 2-3 months it was great.. 4 weeks wasn't so bad..

DId you "mess" about with this kit? did you do it straight as per instructions.?. what temp did you ferment at ect?

From about 5 6 weeks onwards up to about 2-3 months it was great.. 4 weeks wasn't so bad..

DId you "mess" about with this kit? did you do it straight as per instructions.?. what temp did you ferment at ect?

Straight, as per instructions. Temps weren't massively high, I brew in a relatively cool room so always use the trug / fish tank heater method- my notes are at home but I think the highest it ever got was 23 degrees and averaged 22. Yeast was pitched at 21.2 (that bit I can remember!) It's not fusel alcohol tastes, I'm pretty sure. TBH I am considering moving away from kit brewing now. I've done 10 and only a couple of those I have really liked.

Hi Hopping

I've posted on this subject before. I started tasting after a month and was underwhelmed. By the time I had the last one after 5 months I was nearly crying it was the last one!

Moral - these higher ABV kits take a lot longer to condition well!

That's why I didn't even try my first saison for 3 months!

I've posted on this subject before. I started tasting after a month and was underwhelmed. By the time I had the last one after 5 months I was nearly crying it was the last one!

Moral - these higher ABV kits take a lot longer to condition well!

That's why I didn't even try my first saison for 3 months!

Cheers HM. I'll leave it be for a few months and see how the AAA ends up. I'd like a go at a saison; I usually stick pretty much to stouts and porters if I can when buying beer; but I have been outside my comfort zone lately and did like a saison and a Belgian style I had recently.

I bottled this a couple of weeks ago - it was only my second attempt at homebrewing so I followed the instructions to the letter. Used a brewbelt to keep the temperature as high as possible, a pretty constant 26c or so, I think. I can't remember the gravities offhand, but it came out at around 6.4%. Only thing I'll do differently next time is put the hops in a muslin bag as a lot of the hop sludge has ended up in the bottles. I reckon I'll try my first one in a couple of weeks, then keep the rest for the end of the summer...

Back