Youngs Fermentation barrel (22l screw top) Advice please?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matilda

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm looking to buy either the 22l fermentation (with screw top)
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/home-brewi ... t/0075885/

or the 25l with normal lid.

Anyone know what the top looks like on the 22l version? i.e does it have a hole for a bung and airlock?

The thing that puts me off the 25l one is that I have to drill a hole myself and add a gromet. Not too much work, but enough for me not to bother...

Also, the above is £13 from Wilko's (free delivery to collect in store) anyone know where I can get one cheaper?

For wine making, go with the screw-topped fermenter :thumb:

Markings stop at 5 gallons / 22 litres but they actually hold 30 litres :drunk:

The lid is already drilled for a standard bung and airlock, and that's a pretty good price.

Matilda said:
Anyone know what the top looks like on the 22l version? i.e does it have a hole for a bung and airlock?

The one I have has a hole in the top for a bung and airlock and I've never seen one that doesn't

Matilda said:
The thing that puts me off the 25l one is that I have to drill a hole myself and add a gromet. Not too much work, but enough for me not to bother...

If you were to get this one I wouldn't bother with the hole for an airlock. I also have one of these and the lid doesn't seal 100% so the CO2 leaks out of the lid before it gets to the airlock

Matilda said:
Also, the above is £13 from Wilko's (free delivery to collect in store) anyone know where I can get one cheaper?

Seems a good price. May be worth checking your local Tesco. They had all HB equipment on sale recently and they were about £7

crofty83 said:
Seems a good price. May be worth checking your local Tesco. They had all HB equipment on sale recently and they were about £7

No HB stuff at my local tesco :( Will order one tonight.

Thanks all :)

I think instead of buying from Wilko's ( as good as it is ) I would suggest you visit a home brewmaking supplier ( if you have one near ) Get to know the owner it will pay dividen's in the future. They will have several brew bins for you to view and all come with free advice.
Remember if brewing beer, you don't need an air lock with its subsequent hole in the lid. Get a bin designed for beer making and when you have your brew made, just gently thump one side of the lid in place leaving the other side unfixed to allow the CO2 to get out. Beer ( especially in 23 litre amounts ) makes tremendous amount of gas, more than enough to protect its surface from contamination. Using an air lock and you can run the risk of the brew blowing through it splashing beer all over and the pressure could even burst the seams of your bin. If your worried at all about flies midges and bits of debris in the air falling in, cover the whole lot with a loose fitting tea towel.
For wine making air locks are advised.

piddledribble said:
I think instead of buying from Wilko's ( as good as it is ) I would suggest you visit a home brewmaking supplier ( if you have one near ) Get to know the owner it will pay dividen's in the future. They will have several brew bins for you to view and all come with free advice.

+1 for that. My LHBS has been great with knowledge etc

Nothing wrong with the Youngs 22lt FV. I have 3 and they hold 25 lt easily. I use them for both wine and beer with no problems at all. The lids have a hole for a standard bung. They seal just fine for me, although they came with a sticker that said to use vasaline to make sure you get a good seal. But I don't bother and they seal fine.

crofty83 said:
piddledribble said:

+1 for that. My LHBS has been great with knowledge etc

Understood, thanks for he advice :-)
I've ordered it any way... The price was good and I'm only ever gonna brew wine and the (very occasional) odd cider.

Got my eye on a Beaverdale Rioja ;-)

Latest posts

Back