Young's Fermenting Tubs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Regular.
Reaction score
I have two fermenting tubs, one is an Essencia tub with molded plastic handles on each side of the tub. I also have a Young's fermenting tub with a metal swing type handle.

My question is, has anyone carried a Young's fermenter by the handle with a full volume of liquid. I dare not try this
because I'm sure the handle will come off.

A full 5 gallon bin absolutely stings the finger ends when carrying it by the rim.

Robbo said:
My question is, has anyone carried a Young's fermenter by the handle with a full volume of liquid. I dare not try this because I'm sure the handle will come off.
I have two of the '25 litre' screw topped fermeters (which actually hold 30 litres to the neck) and yes, I have carried them by the handles with a full volume of liquid.

Admittedly, between the knees with the base never more than a couple of inches off the floor.

Lifting from floor to worktop isn't that easy for an average mortal, but with one handle and the other hand beneath the base of the fermenter it can be done smoothly and without stirring up sediment.

With full buckets I also only carry them low to the ground and then lift by the rim.

Yep, I carry those up to my shed and back all the time when they are full, they're very heavy but the handles are fine to carry them by

Yes, I also carry the youngs vessel by the handle. The top of the bucket bows in quite a bit. To stop this just put the lid on :thumb:

Will12283 said:
I carry them up and down stairs from the kitchen to the brew cupboard.

I carry my brews upstairs from the kitchen and carrying it by the handle really mishapes the tub to a point where i think the handle is going to come off.

Hearing that the tub can be carried by the handle, I have a bit more confidence now but I'll try it with a full load of water first, don't want to spill my brew half way up the stairs.

Robbo said:
I carry my brews upstairs from the kitchen and carrying it by the handle really mishapes the tub to a point where i think the handle is going to come off.
Put the lid on, it gives it some strength :thumb:

Latest posts

Back