Youngs Harvest Barley Wine - stopped and looks like coffee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian M

Reaction score
Hi All,
First time posting here, although I've picked up lots of useful tips from your discussions. I'm no expert, but have done a few can kits with no problems.
I have been ensuring a constant supply of 'shed beer' throughout the lockdown, but have now hit a bit of a wall.

I purchased 2 x Youngs Harvest Barley wine kits and added both to my bucket - made up to 25L.
I used 1 x Malt Extract, Brewing Sugar & Enhancers and 1KG white sugar. The 2 x supplied yeast sachets were in date.
All went well to start with - lots of froth (maybe too much - reaching the lid) + bubbles - but it stopped almost completely after a couple of days.
I'm now over 2 weeks in and gravity is a steady 1.019 (should be 1.000 - 1.006).
It's very fizzy and completely cloudy - although smells and tastes sort of OK (not risking more than the tiniest sip!)

The only yeast I have is bread yeast, and I'm guessing that might make things worse.

Is there any hope for this?

Thanks so much in advance.

Back