Youngs Suavignon Blanc Mods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulliemc

Reaction score
apolgoies if this is garbled, bottled 2 DJs of WOW before making this :drunk: (which, btw, I've had to sameple for tsting purposes, and it is soo good mrs mc is turning her nose up at anything else - exotic fruits and forest fruits variants, but I gigress...)

running out of stock, mrs mc urged me to get another Ypungs 30 bottle kit on the go, who am I to argue :thumb: . We liked it OK first couple of timea round, but first couple of batches were stricly as per recipe to the minute as I was like a fish out of water. Now adapting based on readings/WOW experiences, so a couple of Qs if that is OK:

Any harm in adding wee bit more sugar to increase sweetness and/or strength? desctructions say 4kg for a 1.075/1.080 SG, finishing at 0.996/1.000 or below. I couldnt wait on an expert answer, so I added 4.618kg anyway :whistle: (its what I had handy), SG of 1.088, hard luck me really if I shouldn't, but would value opinions on whether I should have done that so I can set expectations with mrs mc, and likely outcome - see next Q.

Any reason not to let ir run a bit longer to add touch more strength/stop higher and make sweeter and/or clear a bit longer too? all the kits so far have had plently clear bottles and the odd one with a whisp of "stuff" through it that doesn't stop me drinking it but would prefer without

All opinions gratefully received.

p.s. taken to adding a bottle of 5l water and grape juice and a n other to weekly shop :whistle: ....got cynical grumbles and purchase under duress type discussions in supermarket first few weeks, since mrs mc started tonking it and proclaiming to friends on how good it (WOW) is, not had so much resistance for some reason :party:

Hi wullie, how's the head this morning? I can't help noticing the figners were getting a bit twisted last nihgt :lol:
wulliemc said:
Any harm in adding wee bit more sugar to increase sweetness and/or strength? desctructions say 4kg for a 1.075/1.080 SG, finishing at 0.996/1.000 or below. I couldnt wait on an expert answer, so I added 4.618kg anyway :whistle: (its what I had handy), SG of 1.088, hard luck me really if I shouldn't, but would value opinions on whether I should have done that so I can set expectations with mrs mc, and likely outcome - see next Q.
No! Take it out immediately!

Seriously though, can you upset the balance of a Young's wine kit? :whistle:

My advice would be to let it ferment out fully, don't try to stop it, give it a bit longer to clear, then stabilise and sweeten to taste when bottling.

Latest posts

Back