Your average pub pint compared to home brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm extremely lucky too.

My local (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... wn/Bampton) has fantastic beer, three cask ales on engines, Cotswold Lager and usually some good cider in the summer alongside an epic range of both Malt Whisky and Belgian beer! The ale is usually local, is kept in spanking nick and is usually polished off pretty quickly so there's always something new on.

My "work local" (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Steventon) also has fabulous beer. Usually three casks of something local on stillage at any one time (although we've been treated to some rather tasty Cornish ale recently). They may have other beverages, I've never noticed...

They probably both do stuff like Guinness (actually I know the Morris does because my mate drinks it) but then there's no need to drink anything "run of the mill" like Belhaven best or the standard Greene King fayre.

The beer I drink in these pubs is absolutely on a par with my own. Sometimes better, sometimes not, always great beer though and often has me thinking "I need to brew one like this".

Aleman said:
I would much rather have 3 or 4 pint of Adnams Bitter that one pit of these horrible hop monsters that I am going to taste all night.

Give me a well balanced beer any day

And this is why I love drinking in great pubs. Unlike you I do like a hop monster now and again but frankly you don't see them in the village pubs in the home counties. I make my own. But awesome bitters and pales that are the staples of these places are much harder to dream up yourself and harder to brew too (there's no hiding mistakes behind a big smack of grapefruit).

A beautifully balanced English (or Scottish) ale is indeed a thing of beauty, especially when viewing your next one through the bottom of the glass of the previous...

TRXnMe said:
I had two excellent pints today :D

One of our local pubs does s arange of cask and good keg ales, they had one on 'Lord Tredegar', the pub is the Tredegar Arms, so I tried a pint, damn fine, drank it and went back for another.

They also have 'normal' beers on tap, but appear to have enough customers who like tasty, hoppy / malty beers for them to have Abbot on tap in a keg and three other good beers on hand pump.
You had me excited then Ian! I thought there was actually a pub by us that served decent beer. I have heard good things about the Tredegar arms, but it's a long way to go for a pint of an evening unless you're going that way anyway.

nice to see someone local matty, where abouts in burton you from? i am the other side the water in the valley :)

Cyclops said:
nice to see someone local matty, where abouts in burton you from? i am the other side the water in the valley :)

I live in Horninglow now less than 10 min walk from the Plough, but used to live in Shobnall when first left home. The old cottage was about 4 doors down from my house :thumb:,

I tend to do walkabouts between the cottage, the Alfred, Devvy and Coopers or the Bridge :cheers:

There's a couple of pubs near me that do some decent beers. The Flower Pots at Cheriton is always a cracking pint (though I can't drink their 6% IPA when I'm driving) and in Winchester there's always good beer in the St James' Tavern (Wadworth pub.)

The Black Boy is easily my favourite pub but the beer can be hit or miss. This winter they had Blackjack Porter which was gorgeous but at the weekend had some pretty thin Ringwood and Itchen Valley's Pure Gold (which wasn't very flavoursome.)

Easily one of the best evenings I've had in a pub was in the Old Boot in Chester back in my student days. Samuel Smiths pub which serves the full range for 1970's prices. Well worth a visit!

Incidentally: has anyone here ever taken back a pint of 'off' ale? My gf gives me stick but I often feel a pub shouldn't be charging £3-something for something that's likely to give me a headache/bowel eruptions.

I'm lucky to live in Belgium at the moment and I can get a great draft Triple Karmeliet in my local for 3 Euro. Not sure if I'll ever brew anything close to that but will aim to some day when I get past kits. When back home I try and get to a Wetherspoons as they have a great selection of real ales - that said - my very first brew - Woodfordes Wherry, although not great was completely inoffensive and I would have happily supped a pint if I bought it in a pub. Only a pint mind you, I'd move to something else after that. Real ales in pubs are a bit hit and miss I think - but I'd rather try them all than drink anything mass-produced and flavourless. If we ever go to a pub in UK without real ale I tend to get a soft drink.

Joeyriles said:
There's a couple of pubs near me that do some decent beers. The Flower Pots at Cheriton is always a cracking pint (though I can't drink their 6% IPA when I'm driving)

Incidentally: has anyone here ever taken back a pint of 'off' ale? My gf gives me stick but I often feel a pub shouldn't be charging £3-something for something that's likely to give me a headache/bowel eruptions.

Flowerpots IPA.. love it, but yes you need to be walking ( soon sorts that out as well ) ;)

I have taken beer back a few times with varying degrees of scorn depding on the pub. Nearer home I 'try before I buy' on the guests we get in our locals as we have good landlords and are pretty lucky to have some nice beers as standard - Hole Hearted from Oakleaf is the usual :thumb:

The Goatreich said:
TRXnMe said:
I had two excellent pints today :D

One of our local pubs does s arange of cask and good keg ales, they had one on 'Lord Tredegar', the pub is the Tredegar Arms, so I tried a pint, damn fine, drank it and went back for another.

They also have 'normal' beers on tap, but appear to have enough customers who like tasty, hoppy / malty beers for them to have Abbot on tap in a keg and three other good beers on hand pump.
You had me excited then Ian! I thought there was actually a pub by us that served decent beer. I have heard good things about the Tredegar arms, but it's a long way to go for a pint of an evening unless you're going that way anyway.

My wife doesn't drink often, so usually drives when we go out :)

There are some good pubs out towards the sea wall, when the nights draw out I'll give you a shout, got a push bike? I often cycle along route 4 in the summer and there are a few good pubs within 45 minutes cycling of us :) The problem being that the exercise can accelerate the beer into the system and cycling home becomes challenging if you have a couple too many :)

I did see a good beer guide 2014 banner on a pub out towards Maindy the other night, not been in yet but will try and wander over for a lunch time tester next weekend :)

All the pubs within walking distance from me serve the mass produced tasteless beer (that I do drink because after all it is beer...). ...
I've just had a thought... Theres my first million!!
:party:

There's a couple of good pubs around my end of Dundee with a good selection of ales such as Dukes Corner, the Trades, Drouthy Neebors etc, but at £4:50ish a pint now when I enjoy my own beer more they can shove it up their ****.

That said I do often find myself in there for a lunch time one with the dog and a newspaper.

mattyhall22 said:
I am really lucky that my local regular pubs are all local real ale brewers so the beers are always fantastic my main watering holes are "Burton bridge brewery" pubs and "the old cottage brewery" pub. :cheers:

Used to love a game of skittles and a pint of porter in The Bridge when I lived in Burton.

Scalli said:
mattyhall22 said:
I am really lucky that my local regular pubs are all local real ale brewers so the beers are always fantastic my main watering holes are "Burton bridge brewery" pubs and "the old cottage brewery" pub. :cheers:

Used to love a game of skittles and a pint of porter in The Bridge when I lived in Burton.

Lol the skittles takes a while to get used to the fact the wooden balls are not exactly round ;) its a cracking little pub :cheers:

I fortunately live in the city (Edinburgh) with the most pubs per head of population (apparently), where I am spoilt for choice when it comes to heading out for a pint or two.
Some of my favourite bars can have easily 25 guest ales at any one time. Although I would generally stick to Deuchars IPA (at room temperature) I will usually indulge in any new ales I come across.
But more recently, I've found myself enjoying my home brew more than my usual pub pint. I taste a massive difference, and can also see that a lot of draught ales in the pub are pretty thin and watery in comparison.
The Brewdog pub is an exception, and I will happily swill a few pints of Punk and that for me is about as good as it gets, aside from supping my own brew.

TRXnMe said:
There are some good pubs out towards the sea wall, when the nights draw out I'll give you a shout, got a push bike? I often cycle along route 4 in the summer and there are a few good pubs within 45 minutes cycling of us :) The problem being that the exercise can accelerate the beer into the system and cycling home becomes challenging if you have a couple too many :)

I did see a good beer guide 2014 banner on a pub out towards Maindy the other night, not been in yet but will try and wander over for a lunch time tester next weekend :)

yes I have a push bike, and I'm up for a cycle with a couple of beers. :)

Very new to brewing and only really got into it because I was given a pint of home brew , Taylors landlord to try and it tasted as good as it's name sake in a pub.
I have some in a FV will have to see if I can replicate .

i see your doing a wherry, do you normally do the 2 can kits or do you normally go for the 1can and sugar route?

Two more stonking pints last night, and a killer cider to boot :)

One of the local 'spoons had a couple of stouts on, one Irish Stout, one Celtic Stout, both excellent, although I preferred the Irish as it had more burnt coffee flavour in it.

The cider was a killer, I only checked the ABV when going back for my next pint, it was 7.5%!!

Had a damn good steak to wash them down with as well.

For between £2.20 and £2.50 a pint, with a steak (dry aged angus) for £15 I'm a happy chap :)

Back