Zee-Zee Hop Light Honey Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fermented out, taste taste reveals no bad off flavours and a sort of "good lager" with plenty of hop aroma. much lighter colour than previous batches. can't wait to taste this one! :D

The batch I brewed is almost done - SG of 1.008 yesterday.
Added some dry hops a couple of days ago (can't say they smelt very "hoppy" though!).

I will probably bottle one day this week and will taste a little bit when doing that and report :cheers:

Sounds nice! :) I tasted my latest t'other day, brewed with Amber, EKG and 30% honey - it's very light and thin but like a more interesting lager, but it was brewed for christmas so everybody can drink it, so pretty happy with it. Gonna move it inside once it's cleared out and drink at room temp :)

Well, I bottled just before xmas and tasted at New Year.
Firstly - it tastes great! With a nice hop and honey aroma.
However, I over-primed it, it seems!
When bottling, I syphoned into a clean bucket and added priming sugar then bottled immediately.
Normally I would leave a couple of days before sugar and bottling for any further yeast to drop out.
But, I wanted the stuff out of the way for xmas so I did it immediately.
As a result, loads of sediment dropped out in every bottle :/
Secondly, although I have used 150g sugar in 23L before, I used 135g this time.
But on opening the bottles, there is a huge rush of bubbles which lifts the sediment off the bottom and makes a cloudy beer.
So, I what I have done is open all the bottles to allow this to happen, then reseal.
Hopefully this will work.

My friend who brewed at the same time is bottling tonight. I think his temp. conditions were not perfect.
One strange thing we noticed was a silvery sheen, like a skin on top of the brew. We both panicked thinking it was mould, but it doesn't seem to have affected taste, and we have never seen it on other brews!

In summary, the taste is great, and I will make it again, but be more careful with the sediment and priming!
Thanks for the recipe!

Doh, sorry to hear that! Honey is a slow fermenter so might be partially responsible...I swear it keeps it carbonated for a long time in the keg :wha:
that silvery sheen is something that occurs every now and then, i've read about it and had it but never really had it explained...it's fine by all accounts though!
I've just finished my most recent keg of this and it gets better after a month, less skunky and green and more like a good ale. Might do a half batch to bottle up soon :)

Thanx for making it, hope you enjoy it because I do! :)

Sounds pretty awesome, might have to give it ago, ive tried a few honey beers in the past but never brewed my own. Think I may have found my new mission.

Back