Stock pot mash bin and boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Im fairly new to the forum and to all grain brewing but love the idea of making my own equipment.

I was wondering about an idea I've had to see if anyone else has had any tips or has done this before.

I was thinking of taking a hot pot and adding a tap and a filter to it. So I can use it for the mash. So I can drain it into another container then rinse and sparge in the pot. With a sprinkler or similar attachment to the lid.
Then get rid of the grains.

This is where my question lies. I was going to fit a kettle heating element or 2 inside the stock pot so I can do my boil in it. They also make automatic thermostats for snake tanks which read the temperature and switch on and switch off to maintain the temperature. No wiring needed, you plug the kettle element into it then into the mains. Not sure how accurate the temp could be set but I can judge a rolling boil and set it to that temp or use my own thermometer.

This function could also be used for the initial mash to keep the temp stable.

I do apologise if this seems like an obvious question or if it's been asked before but I just want to know if it sounds like a good idea or if it's best to keep it simple.

Assuming you are doing batches over 20L just turning 1 element off when it reaches a boil should be fine

My batch size will probabaly be just over 20l so I might have to do some testing and see what kind of activity I can get. Cheers

Thats fine then a single element will hold a rolling boil for 20-50l batches no problem even up to 200l if its well insulated no control required.

Cheers Simon. I reckon I'll put 2 elements in to speed up the boiling then switch to one when it starts to roll.

Exciting times. Not just to building a bottling tree :lol:

Latest posts

Back