Home Brew Competition - April 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for April 17 is Bitter

Style Guidelines:

Bitter
(Includes Bitter, Best Bitter and Strong Bitter. Does not include beers as identified in the HBF IPA or Pale Ale style guidelines)
Bitters are typically 1.030-1.050, although strong bitters do run to 1.060, with IBUs of around 30-60. Flavours/aromas should have a degree of hop bitterness, but this should not override the malt character. Typical hop choices are earthy or spicy variants. Bready and biscuit tones are acceptable, as is a floral hopiness. Bitter should be light to medium bodied, and should typically be easy to drink, or ‘sessionable’. Carbonation is low.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @TheKitchInn

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Sunday 30th April and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Hi folks! That time already eh?

My wife and I are expecting our first baby any moment now so please bear with me if not responding to PM messages very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi folks! That time already eh?

My wife and I are expecting our first baby any moment now so please bear with me if not responding to PM messages very quickly.

Best wishes with the baby, Ive yet to brew a bitter. So with an ode to my misses I'm having a go at a Yorkshire bitter:thumb:

Bad planning? Surrounded by nappies and tears but nice gentlemen sending me beer direct? I call this good planning ;)

Bad planning? Surrounded by nappies and tears but nice gentlemen sending me beer direct? I call this good planning ;)

:lol: A master tactician at work.

I've got my bitter for this in the fermenter now. Hopefully it will ferment out quickly and smoothly and be ready just in time for the end of April.

I don't see why it can't include brown ale. If people are against it, make a brown ale and call it a bitter.

I'm gonna have to sit this one out I'm afraid, but good luck everyone.

Well sadly due to a number of problems i'm having to pull this one, ive ended up with a beer that tastes quite nice but at 3.2 abv and the colour of a light summer ale I cant put it in.
Shame as ive entered all of them so far and had intended to do the full 12 months..

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of my brewing schedule recently, but I'm brewing a standard bitter tomorrow and it might be just about ready for the end of April.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way of my brewing schedule recently, but I'm brewing a standard bitter tomorrow and it might be just about ready for the end of April.

Same with me. I may get my bitter on this week but I doubt it will be ready as I may have to leave it in the FV for 3 weeks.

I got my entry for this comp bottled tonight. It's looking reasonably clear and the sample tasted decent, should be in the style of nothing else! It's an odds and sods beer of the specialty grains I had around. It's come out quite significantly on the ruby end of a bitter I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back