Adding Treacle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monte

Reaction score
Hi
I was interested to see someone on here had a list of beers they made or brewing etc like most of you,But one thing stood out to me,Stout with a 500g of Black Treacle and Dark Spray Malt added...Black Treacle !!! Sounds interesting .
Has anyone else used Treacle and what does it do ? Im interested in finding out more about this.

I did exactly this with the Coopers Stout kit.

500g dark DME and 454g of black treacle and it tastes amazing.

Tip though - leave a fair bit of headroom in the fv as it ferments like crazy ;)

It was yours i seen the Treacle in on one of your posts,Sounds Great and had to ask on here to see what it does,I may try this next time..
Thanks for prompt reply. :cheers:

Im contemplating Trying a Tin of Lyles Golden Syrup now in my IPA,wonder what that would taste like...mmm :hmm:

next brew i have planned is that coopers stout, tin black sugar, 1kg dme, short brew.

after that i wanna try coopers stout ,1kg dme, 200 grams cocco dumped in <?!> bottle of vannial essence

just see what happens and compare....so much beer,so little time

monte said:
Im contemplating Trying a Tin of Lyles Golden Syrup now in my IPA,wonder what that would taste like...mmm :hmm:

Just started drinking Coppers Stout made with 500g golden syrup. Tastes lovely, you can taste the sweetness at the after taste if that makes sense.

Did it mess around with the Alcohol content etc when you added it and does it affect the fermentation time..
Rwilts said:
monte said:

Just started drinking Coppers Stout made with 500g golden syrup. Tastes lovely, you can taste the sweetness at the after taste if that makes sense.

Whe you say short brew is that topping up to say 20lt insted of 23 and does this boost alcohol without affecting taste and body
mifune said:
next brew i have planned is that coopers stout, tin black sugar, 1kg dme, short brew.

after that i wanna try coopers stout ,1kg dme, 200 grams cocco dumped in <?!> bottle of vannial essence

monte said:
Whe you say short brew is that topping up to say 20lt insted of 23 and does this boost alcohol without affecting taste and body
mifune said:

yea , spot on what i'm hopping to achieve. first time doing it so hope for the best.
i was recomended doubling sugar and short brew to 10ltres by a forum member here! see how that turns out too!

i've heard the higher the alcohol the longer you mature it too, so might do one soon for next chrimbo!

I used a Tesco 680g Value Jar of Golden Syrup in a Stout Kit a while back and dropped it back to 20 litres, after 3 months it tasted really really nice. So I would recommend it, also used Tate & Lyle tin as well, not any difference in taste to me.

Sat here supping a delicious Coopers Original Stout which I put a tin of treacle, 500g of molasses and about 200g of dextrose, and a couple of espressos.

Buster said:
I used a Tesco 680g Value Jar of Golden Syrup in a Stout Kit a while back and dropped it back to 20 litres, after 3 months it tasted really really nice. So I would recommend it, also used Tate & Lyle tin as well, not any difference in taste to me.
Cheers for all the info,its given me afew ideas to try knowing its not going to ruin the brew. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I'm drinking one now. Brewed short and with 200g of black treacle added.
It ends up slightly more bitter than a brew with extra sugar instead of the treacle. It takes a bit longer to mature and is very nice.
Strangely, head retention seems to be improved by adding the treacle.

Hi.

I made a coopers stout and used a full tin of treacle with 1kg of brewing sugar but I have to say I think the taste of treacle is too overwhelming.

I would add at max a half tin and possible other fermentable sugars (honey or golden syrup).

I did an Edme stout last year with 454g black treacle plus sugar and dark spraymalt. Tasted wonderful not too treacly at all!!! +1 on the crazy foam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did a Headcracker with lge jar of syrup DME etc., as my next brew after the Edme one. Also tasted great!!
ANY fermentable sugar added will change the suggested ABV of the kit, however, no biggie.
Also, extra fermentable sugar will take longer for the yeast to eat, so a longer ferment. Honey added to my brews has ALWAYS taken longer to ferment.
I remember reading somewhere that you should leave to mature a month for every % alcohol in the brew.HTH
:cheers:

I'm doing a Stout this week and using treacle. I'll be using 1kg of dextrose and half a bar of chocolate, or perhaps coco powder and brew it to 21L. :cheers:

mifune said:

I would just be careful that you dont make it too strong tasting - the kit by itself is pretty tasty :tongue:

Well i made my IPA today,added 500g of Tate n Lyle Golden Syrup,500g Spray Malt and 500g Dextrose.8 hrs later and its going nuts lol..My sg start reading was 1056 so its working out at final sg could reach 6.8% vol...Happy days.

Latest posts

Back